Noob question about re-installing OS

benesotor

Hi,

I'm planning on installing windows 7 on my PC when I can, but I have a simple question..

Is it possible to install the new OS without loosing files or software?

And is the answer the same if I want to install 64bit to replace a 32-bit system?

I don't mind about having to put files back, it's the software I'm concerned about, as I've probably lost quite a few of my registration ID's discs.

All help greatly appreciated, Ben

If the files and software are saved on a different partition, then yes you should be able to keep them. If it's the same partition, then everything will be gone when changing the type of OS. Example: going from xp to xp, you can keep everything (assuming you don't choose the format option of course) but obviously lose all the shortcuts.

As far as installing the 64bit os, I believe the answer is the same, that is, as long as it's a different partition. Pretty sure the 64 bit OS will be able to read most, if not all of the 32 bit applications on a different partition...someone correct me if I'm wrong.

But all that said, if I were installing a brand new OS, and also jumping from 32 to 64 bit, I would start with a fresh, formatted drive.

One thing you might want to try, assuming you don't have your disk partitioned right now, is to just get another hard drive and install the new OS to that. Most programs would still work by simply creating a shortcut to the .exe on the other physical drive, but some would need to be re-installed.

Edited by Fight Game

Thanks for that!

Well at the moment I have my OS and program files saved onto a seperate drive, so could I buy another drive, install the OS on it, but still use the programs that are saved onto my old drive?

Would I then have the option of booting XP on the old drive, as well as W7 on the new one?

still use the programs?

probably, my guess is yes, some may work, others may need re-install, other rare ones may not work at all under 64 bit.

dual boot?

yes

edit: when you install the new (or any) OS, be sure to only have that single physical hard drive plugged in during install. Many times (not sure on w7) the OS will put info on any and all drives, and as soon as you remove one for any reason you won't be able to boot.

Edited by Fight Game