oldgoat99

Non Gamer - Which Video Card

I would thing a 9800GT or GTS250 to take advantage of programs that can benefit from GPU acceleration. The 3 and 4 series ATI card can be used with some programs but I just dont remember which but I know Photoshop CS4 make use of GPU acceleration with NV cards.

The GPU acceleration has helped much (read: at all) in adobe photoshop or adobe premier pro, between looking at 3d models in photoshop on my laptop (8600m gt which is pretty weak) and on my desktop it doesn't effect anything. Premier Pro only has GPU acceleration on applying pretty lame effects (to my knowledge if it uses the GPU anywhere else I'm not aware of it) that I doubt most would use.

Note: I am only an intermediate user.

lol i have a 4850x2 forsale... for 140$ shipped ... however if ur not looking for something like that... id sugguest not a fanless design but something that vents outside the case so you dont have to worry about any extra heat....

Edited by unknownuser200

deffinatly get a series 9 Niveda card , cheap and good . solid cards

I like this one from newegg

ASUS 9600GT Silent

Yes, thanks for posting that link. I like it too. Ordered it today. I am concerned about the amount of noise generated by my new system so that was a factor in my choice. It looks like it will work fine for my needs.

I have some old PCI graphics cards if you want one

Thanks for the offer. You don't have any old i7 processors you don't want do you? :lol:

And, thanks to everyone for their inputs. By last night my brain was fried from looking at all the options.

+1 for fanless design

I like this one from newegg

ASUS 9600GT Silent

(9600GT features in the supported list)

Pretty good deal for $69 plus you can use the CUDA for transcoding and other stuff!!

man...fanless or not that thing should not be worth THAT much. You actually getting potentially less than a normal 9600GT since you couldn't overclock it/

Yes, thanks for posting that link. I like it too. Ordered it today. I am concerned about the amount of noise generated by my new system so that was a factor in my choice. It looks like it will work fine for my needs.

Thanks for the offer. You don't have any old i7 processors you don't want do you? :lol:

And, thanks to everyone for their inputs. By last night my brain was fried from looking at all the options.

Hope you enjoy it, though I woulda went for the 3870x2 :P, it'd put alot more umph in your rendering

with a noise less fan ....:P

LOL too funny your joke!!

Edit: Good choice on the videocard :)

Edited by The Smith

The GPU acceleration has helped much (read: at all) in adobe photoshop or adobe premier pro,

It helps when you're using monstrous images quite a bit. For average stuff it just makes it slightly faster.

It's sick the kind of price premiums that get associated with convenience <_<.

Tell us how it goes when you piece everything together OP :thumbs-up:

Edited by IVIYTH0S

LOL too funny your joke!!

Edit: Good choice on the videocard :)

thanks smith , this is the first time you say that to me you used to be pain in the butt :lol:

but i do not blame ya , dave ( wacko) said to me that some times my words are hard to figure out ..:lol:

thanks smith , this is the first time you say that to me you used to be pain in the butt :lol:

but i do not blame ya , dave ( wacko) said to me that some times my words are hard to figure out ..:lol:

Oh sorry N.E.A, the good choice on the videocard was to the OP.

I was saying that the noiseless fan was a good joke.

you could always turn the fan off :P, I can run my CPU passive as long as it's not doing anything

missed :(

you could always turn the fan off :P, I can run my CPU passive as long as it's not doing anything

i think it will get about 40-50 c :(