Two of the Major banks in the US reform Overdraft Fees

greengiant912

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNew...E58M2TE20090923

NEW YORK (Reuters) - JPMorgan Chase & Co said on Wednesday that it was eliminating some overdraft fees altogether and trimming others, after Bank of America Corp announced a similar move on Tuesday.

The changes follow U.S. congressional leaders' criticism of bank account fees and come as the banks digest rule changes for credit card fees.

New York-based JPMorgan said it made the changes, which include removing overdraft fees if a customer's account is $5 or less overdrawn, in a bid to help its 25 million debit card customers amid the recession and rising U.S. unemployment levels.

The second-largest U.S. bank is also ending overdrafts for debit cards unless the account holder opts into an overdraft service, and it will start recognizing debit-card transactions and cash withdrawals as they occur, according to the statement.

Bank of America, the largest U.S. bank, said it was reducing overdraft and other account fees over the next year.

http://newsroom.bankofamerica.com/index.ph...3&item=8538

Contact your bank to see if they follow suit, if not switch banks. This is a huge thing for a lot of people when that $4 cup of coffee costs you $39 with overdraft fees. Granted your in charge of you own money however mistakes happen and I am glad that banks are finally starting to realize that people are not out to screw them!

Wait, so these banks responded to one another's actions and lowered overdraft fees, in a move to ultimately benefit the consumer, and it didn't require an act of congress (literally) for a result to be to the avail of the public?

Interesting... I think we may be on to something here.

The one time I ran into overdraft fees was with paypal taking money out and putting it back in 10 seconds later. Thankfully my bank waived them. Now I just use Mint to track how much money Ive got.

Wait, so these banks responded to one another's actions and lowered overdraft fees, in a move to ultimately benefit the consumer, and it didn't require an act of congress (literally) for a result to be to the avail of the public?

Interesting... I think we may be on to something here.

I know right? lol

As far as overdrafts, I have had my fair share mostly because of being stupid with my money and buying that $2-4 item and paying a . load in OD fees lol.. However its really a nice incentive that these big guys are setting an example for the rest of the banks and building a little more consumer happiness.