Larabee Demo, it can play what looks like Myst

xchrissypoox

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/...emos-larrabee/1

lrbtest.jpg

I realize it wasn't supposed to be a nvidia/ati killer but this is just depressing.

edit: just in case Myst

Edited by xchrissypoox

I'm not sure why they got into GPUs in the first place. I think it was when nvidia started talking about the abilities of CUDA and eventually replacing the CPU. I could be wrong on that though. Seems like Intel has vastly underwhelmed showing the Larabee's capabilities. I wonder if those they showed it to laughed?

Doesn't look like Myst, have you actually played Myst and do you remember the graphics?

Yeah prerendered polygonalness. Its something about the water and island that reminds me of it (course maybe a joke about crysis on ultra low would be as or more relevant? or no jokes at all since I fail), though in my original post I was referring to the graphics so I claim exaggeration and poor brain memory. I was a kid when I played it (and by played I mean had no idea what to do and all I can remember doing is climbing into something an pushing square dents into metal).

so maybe my imagination was real good.

. . . sorry :(

Edited by xchrissypoox

I'm not sure why they got into GPUs in the first place. I think it was when nvidia started talking about the abilities of CUDA and eventually replacing the CPU. I could be wrong on that though. Seems like Intel has vastly underwhelmed showing the Larabee's capabilities. I wonder if those they showed it to laughed?

I think it's because nvidia wants to compete in their small arms race with the mobile platforms, so intel wants to release a powerful one chip solution so that the nvidia ion isn't needed and the whole system would just be intel. (then again, I'm thinking the Larabee will be a desktop cpu, so idk?)

I think it's because nvidia wants to compete in their small arms race with the mobile platforms, so intel wants to release a powerful one chip solution so that the nvidia ion isn't needed and the whole system would just be intel. (then again, I'm thinking the Larabee will be a desktop cpu, so idk?)

CPU? i was under the impression its a GPU

CPU? i was under the impression its a GPU

we're both kinda right??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larrabee_%28GPU%29

Larrabee can be considered a hybrid between a multi-core CPU and a GPU, and has similarities to both. Its coherent cache hierarchy and x86 architecture compatibility are CPU-like, while its wide SIMD vector units and texture sampling hardware are GPU-like.

so maybe my imagination was real good.

. . . sorry :(

no, I agree with you, the scene itself (round dome thing on an island, boat, water) is very reminiscent of Myst, and looks quite similar ... like it could be a new version of Myst (made in 2002 or something)

as for the tech demo... wow, that's pretty bad... I was hoping for something more developed... real-time ray-tracing is already possible, so I was hoping for good looking ray-tracing that looks nearer to as good as current real-time rendering