New Audio System

TropicalPreist

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At that price...buy a stereo receiver and a pair of bookshelf speakers.

These are the bookshelves I've got: http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-DV62si-B...5489&sr=8-1

I paid much more for them a while ago. They're a little bass heavy at high (read HIGH) volumes, but very crisp. Surprising bass (down to 43 Hz apparently) for a bookshelf with a 6.5 inch mid / woofer. A several years back (when they were $200 a pair), consumer reports gave them a best buy rating (although...expect very subjective ratings for their sound testing). I think they're quite good for the money.

I ran these for a couple of years with a JVC stereo receiver that I got for about $130 refurbished. There are some options in the $100 range for receivers (like this sherwood). Not particularly "audiophile" by any means...but still far superior to anything that would be integrated into a speaker or subwoofer (at this price range).

I own a pair of Bose headphones (they sound decent...however, they're cheaply built. Wires are junk and the leather like ear pads wore through and collapsed after about 2 years). I probably wouldn't buy them again (although, I'm probably going to put new ear pads on and solder decent wires on - and then let my GF use 'em).

I also own a pair of their companion 2 system...for $100, it's not bad (you can do worse). Like many (if not all of Bose speakers), they sound "good", which is misleading to an untrained ear...they do not have flat response by any means, and become exceedingly "boomy" at higher volumes. Bose really seems to be in the business for the money...and not for the music or audio. Most, if not all of the drivers are cheap paper. Plastic injection molded cabinets. Just blah, really. My mother is inheriting this system from me, because she can't tell the difference. No harm done...

MDF bookshelves are going to be much better for music than just about any of the similarly priced multichannel plastic injection molded systems that are marketed to the computer enthusiasts. The stereo imaging and crisp upper range is good for gaming as I've experienced in the 6 or so years I've used bookshelf speakers in this manor.

Just my opinion...if you want to hear for yourself, you can probably find the "in a box" systems at your local computer store / best buy / etc etc. You can't really do that with bookshelves in this price range (once you get into serious audiophile territory...you can audition speakers and amplifiers). :)

MDF bookshelves are going to be much better for music than just about any of the similarly priced multichannel plastic injection molded systems that are marketed to the computer enthusiasts.

Totally agree... even relatively cheap powered bookshelf speakers sound better than "computer speakers"

Another option is a pair of entry-level studio monitors.

I have both of the above, as well as a stereo amp / sub / bookshelf speakers, in the same room, for different purposes... all sound much much better than computer/multimedia speakers

If it was between the two, I'd choose the Z-2300... I've heard them and they're ok, haven't heard the Bose set, but everything I've heard from Bose has been mediocre at best

If it was between the two, I'd choose the Z-2300... I've heard them and they're ok, haven't heard the Bose set, but everything I've heard from Bose has been mediocre at best

My sentiments exactly. Bose is good for bass.. and not much else. The Logitechs would do alright, but I'd also throw my hat into the ring for bookshelf speakers. In addition to the ones Crazy_Nate linked, you could also check out the Sony SS-B1000 speakers. One of my buddies uses those and they sound really great for the price, they are a little cheaper than the BICs but if you're going to spend the money, either of them would work out fine. Just depends on how much you want to spend.. and since you are thinking of dropping 200+ on Bose, I think the money would be better spent on either the Sonys or BICs imo.

Ditto on teh bookshelf speakers and Reciever... I <3 my 5.1 Receiver and it smokes the logitech easy. I happened to luck out on my awesome speaker setup... and the system total cost my $75 in the end but all in all its probably worth over $500...

Heh that is why they are called bookshelf. xD You should see mine... They wouldn't fit on any desk no matter how large. Well I suppose you could but it would look like the most awkward thing you would ever see in your life.