Microsoft's new tablet: Courier

WhenKittensATK

Just found this new tablet/booklet device developed by Microsoft. Very stylish and sleek. A cool interface using a combination of finger gestures and a stylus. Includes two 7-inch screens enclosed in a book-like casing. It also supports WiFi and a digital camera. I think this would be great for students (one screen for online textbook and the other as a notepad). Hopefully the price is right when it releases.

Watch the video demo in the link below.

http://gizmodo.com/5365299/courier-first-d...s-secret-tablet

How the Courier came to be: Inkseine (the interface) and Codex (dual screen tablet): Video in link demoing Inkseine

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/23/codex-a...osofts-courier/

500x_courier4.jpg

courier_ui.jpg

Edited by Krazyxazn

Not sure why they keep touting it as a great tool for students, I don't know any college student (clearly this is the target demographic, it's very unlikely that high school students would be allowed to use one of these in their classes) who hand writes their notes anymore, everybody types them. Sure, it's a neat little device, but not as practical for students as one might think.

Not sure why they keep touting it as a great tool for students, I don't know any college student (clearly this is the target demographic, it's very unlikely that high school students would be allowed to use one of these in their classes) who hand writes their notes anymore, everybody types them. Sure, it's a neat little device, but not as practical for students as one might think.

It's a touch screen, they could easily add in an onscreen keyboard. Although it would take some getting used too. Students and teachers would enjoy the silence from non tactile keyboard typing. Although the typer may not.

Good luck typing notes in a math or physics class. Where it's mostly math problems rather than actual lecture notes. On my campus mostly everyone hand writes their notes. There are maybe 2-5 students per class that even bring laptops and only 2 use them in class. Of course the environment might be much different in a big lecture hall, rather than a small size class (20-30 students).

There was a recently article somewhere about the a high school offering netbooks to all students from grades 9 - 12. The netbooks are basically on loan to the students until they graduate and then they are the sole owner of the netbook. It's a slow process in bringing technology into schools. The main issue is locking down the devices so student can't do things they shouldn't be doing during class. Also preventing others from hacking them.

Edited by Krazyxazn

In my high school we're allowed to use net/note books.

Last year we weren't able to though. The rules are rapidly changing to accommodate technology.

Edited by tkrow21

Not sure why they keep touting it as a great tool for students, I don't know any college student who hand writes their notes anymore, everybody types them.

It really depends on what class you take. As soon as you get into maths or anything that requires even basic drawing, pen and paper are still the most efficient tools

everybody types them

don't you have diagrams in law, or is it really just lots and lots of boring words? :lol:

I think pretty much every single discipline of Mathematics, Science and Engineering would require some form of diagram, chart, graph, etc. in lecture notes

don't you have diagrams in law, or is it really just lots and lots of boring words? :lol:

I think pretty much every single discipline of Mathematics, Science and Engineering would require some form of diagram, chart, graph, etc. in lecture notes

:withstupid: If you do any maths then you have to write it, fiddling with word just wouldn't work.