Online photo storage/album

suedenim

Hi,

I have about 13gig of pictures I want to store online to share with family and friends as well as a backup. I would prefer a free service - I have a flickr account but I'm limited to 100mb upload a month.

Usually I'd suggest Picasa or Flickr, but your size exceeds what you can do with both. Not sure what Facebook allows.

A good alternative would be to set up a free hosted website some place, but even then you'll probably exceed the monthly bandwidth, unless you host it on your own system.

Don't rely on photo sites to serve as your backup. They offer no guarantee.

It is very unlikely that you would find a hosting site that will be any good that will give you even 5 gigabytes of free storage.

With that amount of pictures you're starting to delve into the realm of pay services, you'd be better off that way anyways imho.

Not only would you have your pictures backed up securely (depending on which company you went with) but you'd be able to access them from anywhere yourself.

Also a lot of services resize the photo for you when you upload, it takes longer to upload but there are two advantages that I can think of:

You can cut that 13GB in half (or more) by ~halving the resolution of your pictures which even with todays increase in default monitor resolutions still offers decent sized pictures.

The processing power needed to resize those pictures is done on their end and won't bg down your computer.

What resolution are your pictures?

You weren't really thinking of uploading full xMP photos were you?

Thats a pet peeve of mine.

I know a lot of websites auto resize to your browser but the whole photo has to be loaded first before the resized photo is shown.

It especially irks me when I get an email from a family member containing multiple 6mp pictures.

Thanks mom, I didn't really need a 2800x2100 (I forget what it actually is for 6MP) of my nephews face or of that interesting thing you saw the other day.

1280x1024 is probably the highest I would upload as and even then 99% of my family would never ask for anything higher and they probably wouldn't even care if it was 1024x768.

But if it is backing up your pictures as well you may not want to resize them.

:)

if you have a hotmail account you can use sky drive, it gives you 25gb of space and i believe you can share pictures as an albu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Live_SkyDrive

http://www.windowslive.com/Online/SkyDrive

http://www.windowslive.com/Online/Photos

enjoy :)

p.s. as said before, dont really on this as a complete backup for your photos, better to keep them on a spare HD or dvds

Edited by Bigevil954

I have them on my PC on two drives but I'm cheap and they're all second hand. I was sorting them out over the weekend and realised that 13gig is a lot. It also won't fit on one DVD and I don't trust DVDs, mainly due to two young kids. I'll look at SkyDrive and probably use that in conjunction with Flickr for the next 10yrs!!!

Thanks for the advice its greatly appreciated.

Windows Live Photo gallery and SkyDrive. 25Gb and no bandwidth limitations so far. As I have an MS internet email account already it was just a case of sign in and a few clicks later I'm killing my upload speed.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Pay the $24.99 for a flickr account and be done with it. Know that your files are safe and very easy to manage. There is no other online storage place for photos that comes close to these guys.

As a photographer I upload with confidence to flickr, and have for years.

I have them on my PC on two drives but I'm cheap and they're all second hand. I was sorting them out over the weekend and realised that 13gig is a lot.

Haha, 13GB is not a lot. My photo collection is somewhere in the vicinity of 70GB.