clayderine

how long phenom II x4 940 BE last?

5 year? 10 year? haha

Is this in terms of processing ability? i.e. still be good a few years down the track?

Or do you mean how long will it physically last? As in how long until it stops working?

Need a little more information... <_< :blink:

well in processing ability,,

for gaming ability,,

and physically last =)

how long until is stops working same with physically last right? if not,, please explain too hehe

well in processing ability,,

for gaming ability,,

and physically last =)

how long until is stops working same with physically last right? if not,, please explain too hehe

its impossible to know.. could be 5+ years.. could be 2 years. who knows

Edited by ShallowBay

5 year? 10 year? haha

If you run it at stocks speeds with a decent cooler...far longer than you'll actually want to use it.

Well, you know thats a stupid question. Well I guess I mean its not specific enough to offer any useful information on top of the fact no one can predict the future, I mean for real.

Here you go, some answers:

It will last for gaming until it burns up. I think Intel claims the average lifespan of a CPU is 3+ yrs, But i am not sure what they mean when they say that cause i have never seen a cpu go out in 3 yrs. But you will be able to play games on your 940 until it goes out. which is impossible to predict when

-------BUT------

you may not be able to play the latest games that long, but then again if your cpu was to burn up or go out within the next 2 yrs then you may be able to play the latest games for the lifetime of the cpu.

You see its like asking the question:

"How long is a string?"

But if you want to know how long the CPU will be able to keep up by the means of playing the current games of the future then--

Its also almost impossible to say for sure but one could make an educated guess based on past CPUs and trends.

I would think that 3 yrs would be almost guaranteed, up to 5 yrs were the 940 would surely be obsolete for gaming. But then it still depends on the type of games you play as ppl still play WOW on dinosaurs, you know.

I would think that 3 yrs from now there will be titles that push the 940 to its limit and by then it could coast into obsolete or be pretty quick from there.

There is something interesting happening in the computer world as far as components go. Gaming rigs are dirt cheap compared to the past. I think this will speed the trend up considerably when new better technology appears. But then again, I am no future teller. I do expect the next gen GPUs to really mop up the past gen ones, And we can already see the bottlenecks the phenom2s show in multi GPU setups compaired to the i7s. The new 300 series are supposedly doubling the power over the 200, but then that could be false hype. If it is true there will be a huge gap between AMD and i7s as they already is in multiGPU setups where the CPU is bottlenecking horribly.

You see there is so many factors, What if intel wins the lawsuit saying AMD cant make x86 cpus and then the 940 instantly becomes obsolete? While probable imposable, it is probable, well really all things are.

I am always confused.

I can predict the future, considering your cpu doesnt burn up in an unfortunate occurrence:

Lets say 3 yrs ahead of the curve, very usable.

5yrs-out of date!!

It should last you till dec 20, 2012. I am not to sure how much longer after that, lol.

take care of it and it should last as long as you want to use it...

but as far as performance goes, especially in the newest games, you will most likely wanna upgrade in a couple years or so.