[Deal] Win 7 upgrade for $30

redtigerdragon

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get Home Premium OR Professional and they're the same price, Professional will let you use XP Mode, which is great cause I have several things that don't work with vista/7 and why would you get home premium when you can get professional?

virtualxp.jpg

Information on XP Mode

Here is how to get professional it took me a second to figure it out cause it's slightly hidden, click where I circled in red

supportw.jpg

professionalr.jpg

And then buy it. :D

Edited by xchrissypoox

But professional comes with XP mode, which is a killer feature. Not to mention instead of just a measly 16GB of ram max on the 64-bit one, you can up it to 192GB! :lol:

I don't see XP mode as being that big of a deal because W7 has a great compatibility track record so far and I haven't heard many complaints at all about old software programs not working with it. Plus XP mode can be easily duplicated by download Virtual PC 2007 or VMware and installing XP on it and you have basically have the same thing.

I don't see the ram thing as a whole issue because it will be years before you see anything that actually requires 16GB+ gigs of ram.

Can I do a fresh install from an upgrade disc? Let's assume I don't have a legit Vista disc....

Also, the link doesn't seem to be working :(

According to this source

you can't do a fresh install from an upgrade disk unless you have a qualifying version of Windows (XP or Vista) installed on your hard drive and activated. But there's also the possibility it could install without a previous version of windows installed and activated. There's really no way of knowing until it comes out and someone tries it.

This makes me wish I didn't wait until next semester to start college.

From my reading of the fine print this deal will be ongoing until January 2010 I believe it said. So, just hold onto the link and you should still be okay, unless I just completely misread. I found this information in the user agreement when I purchased my preorder.

So I'm thinking of getting this, but I don't know much about the new windows. Anybody used the beta and have an opinion to share? Or at the least a link to some opinions that aren't those of MS employees. :P

Edit: So far what I have seen is that it is ripping off a lot of things already available either on a Mac or through the use of non-MS programs such as Firefox. lmao

Edited by ocmooz

I just per-ordered my copy.

So I'm thinking of getting this, but I don't know much about the new windows. Anybody used the beta and have an opinion to share? Or at the least a link to some opinions that aren't those of MS employees. :P

Edit: So far what I have seen is that it is ripping off a lot of things already available either on a Mac or through the use of non-MS programs such as Firefox. lmao

I have been using the Windows 7 Beta since they released it. I haven't had any problems with it... at all... so far, which is a hell of a lot better than I can say for the Vista Beta, or even the initial retail releases of it. Windows 7 is fast, has great compatibility, and is an all-around fun OS to use. I trust it enough to be using the Beta as the primary OS on my main rig, and coming from a cautious person like me, that speaks wonders about how much I have faith in it.

For $30, you can't go wrong.