Zune HD or iPod Touch

XxHellxRaizerxX

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an ipod touch 16GB (back when they were $400 and have had the iphone for the last 1.5 years. I've dont some good research and watched a bunch of videos of the zuneHD. the zune is a great device, it really is, its just not as good as the apple counterparts. The zune is half way between the first ipod touch update with extra apps and the opening of the app store. I cant see it getting as big as the app store. the mp3 player market isn't really considered the mp3 market to a very large portion of people, they consider all mp3 players as ipods, its kinda stupid, but thats just how it is. the hurtful truth is "how many people do you know that have zunes?"

This whole situation is exactly like the windows/mac situation back in the 80's when microsoft released windows before apple could release their version of the same OS (basically but lets not get into that argument about who made it first). Windows got pretty much the whole market and Apple suffered. Apple made the mp3 player mainstream (whether it was a superior product or not) years before microsoft even thought of an mp3 player and are now trying to catch up, just like apple in the computer market.

because of this situation, I believe that the zune will ultimately fail. they might not stop making them, but unless they really use innovation to make something that is truely better than the touch/iphone, they will never gain significant share.

Plus many people wont fall for this zunepass idea. they did a great marketing commercial about buying from itunes to getting a zunepass, but 90% of people with that much music either have the music all from CDs already and will continue to buy and rip CDs, or have pirated their entire collection. that's my estimate anyway. and people who have thousands of pirated songs are not gonna stop now.... for people who have no pre-bougt music and dont want to pirate, the zunepass is a great idea, I love it. if apple came out with something like that, people would go nuts. the better option is for sure the ipod touch unless you solely want a music/movie player

wow with a screen like that its going to epic fail.

Really depends on where you use it. If you only use your mp3 players indoors it won't be a problem. You can still see the screen in sunlight. Just shade it and navigate where you want to. I currently do so with my cellphone screen. Probably not a good idea to try and watch a video in the sunlight, but navigating to a song, podcast, or radio station shouldn't be too much of a hassle in sunlight if you shade the screen. Trying to web browse in direct sunlight would defiantly be a no-no.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Also, not sure if this is with all touch screens, but the touchscreen from my Ipod Touch is already really hard to navigate, even after cleaning if after almost every use!(I have had it for about 1 month, haven't used it to much in the last few weeks though).

My roommate has an iPhone with a shattered screen and it tracks perfectly fine.

I think the browser speed (really slow), app store, and the lack of vol/skip track buttons are the weaknesses of the Zune HD. Also the expensive $90 A/V dock needed to even playback 720p on your HDTV.

These OLED screens are suppose to be really good for watching movies (darker blacks). Although some people don't like watching anything on the small MP3 players, but I don't mind. I still hoping for a netbook instead of getting a new mp3 player. So definitely won't be getting the 1st generation of Zune HD.

Edited by Krazyxazn

• 2 weeks later...
I tend to stick to a cellphone as an mp3 player (and with microsd as large as 16gb right now how can you go wrong) or use my laptop.

:withstupid: I run the 16GB Micro SD mp3 player through my phone, though I tend to just run Pandora through my phone anyway lol