Zune HD or iPod Touch

XxHellxRaizerxX

I am buying either one of these, but I'm having trouble deciding which to get. Either the Zune HD or iPod Touch (32GB versions). They both look to be a great buy.

I'm torn on which to buy though. They are essentially the same price but there are key differences that I need to weigh.

Zune HD:

Pros:

- HD Radio reception which is a big plus in my book.

- OLED screen - probably looks better than the standard LED in ipod

- Improved - I've heard the touch screen and accelerometer are improved on the Zune and it has an easier to use UI.

- I'm sure Tegra gives the Zune some advantages as well.

Cons:

- It obviously has a smaller app store type thing and I'm not really sure how it would compare to the Apple App Store even down the road.

- The screen is slightly smaller

- Probably not as mature as iPod touch

I'll be using these for Facebook, general browsing, Music, Movies, etc. Not really sure how much gaming I would do thought, maybe intermittent games to pass time but that's it. Probably the two biggest things I will be looking at are either losing a Radio receiver |gotta have my 105.9 KZZK :(| or losing a massive app store with many things I may find useful.

I'm sure there are things I'm missing but based on this what would you go for personally if you were in the market for one of these?

Edited by XxHellxRaizerxX

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never used a Zune, so can't really speak to that and can't tell you what apps are available for it.

However, I have an iPhone and have friends with iTouches, and the Ap Store definitely provides a huge boost. Most of the apps work for the iTouch as long as it doesn't need a mic (eg. Shazam is iPhone only). Some apps will only work on iTouch if you're connected to WiFi though (like Facebook...which is one of my favorite apps, btw). But if you DO connect to WiFi, you can even send text messages with your iTouch for free using an app called TextPlus. If you're a sports fan, ESPN ScoreCenter is also awesome.

And although the iTouch doesn't have a radio receiver (I wish it did too), you can get the iheartradio app to listen to some stations, or you can use last.fm or pandora.

Never used a Zune, so can't really speak to that and can't tell you what apps are available for it.

However, I have an iPhone and have friends with iTouches, and the Ap Store definitely provides a huge boost. Most of the apps work for the iTouch as long as it doesn't need a mic (eg. Shazam is iPhone only). Some apps will only work on iTouch if you're connected to WiFi though (like Facebook...which is one of my favorite apps, btw). But if you DO connect to WiFi, you can even send text messages with your iTouch for free using an app called TextPlus. If you're a sports fan, ESPN ScoreCenter is also awesome.

And although the iTouch doesn't have a radio receiver (I wish it did too), you can get the iheartradio app to listen to some stations, or you can use last.fm or pandora.

:withstupid: I love Pandora, though I could never get Last.FM to work right, radio pales in comparison to stations you configure yourself. I have my Touch Pro running Pandora when I go to school over my cars speakers

as much as I hate to promote anything Apple.....I feel that the Itouch would be the safer choice unless it was like $40 dollars more

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I would have to recommend the ipod touch. I have had the 2nd Gen for a year now and really like it more then when i bought it. And i was enamored with it then. On the other hand have no experience with the zune and can offer no advice to that side. Still recommend the touch.

If you are patient you could do extensive research into the matter... I had a 30GB Zune for about a week but realized I wanted it all in one and just got a 16GB micro sd for my Touch Pro. Obviously you need the extra storage space but just make sure what you buy is exactly what you're wanting from it

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Id have to side with the ipod just because of the app store. Although keep in mind Ive never had a zune. I own an iphone and my brother has an ipod touch, neither of us have any complaints.

I'd certainly go with the iPod Touch, but that's just me. My father has an iPod Touch and is very happy with it. I love my iPhone, and as others have said the App store is excellent. Another thing I like about iPods, which I've mentioned before, is the insane number of accessories, cases, and other stuff available for them. You just don't see that with any other product.

Probably the two biggest things I will be looking at are either losing a Radio receiver |gotta have my 105.9 KZZK :(| or losing a massive app store with many things I may find useful.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/navigate

This is just one example. There are numerous other FM recievers availabel for the iPod, iPod Touch, and iPhone. :)

This article may be of some help...

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/09...he_zune_hd.html

Granted, it's by an Apple fan site, so the information may be skewed. I don't know enough about the technology in the Zune to call the article fact or BS.

now im a zune fanboy i guess you could say but im currently posting from my zune hd 32gb and i love this thing. the screen size doesnt make too much a difference to me between ipod and zune but from the app perspective you are definitley going to get a much better selection for the time being with an ipod. but like i said, thats just for now.

It's honestly to early to say if the Zune HD will catch up to where the iPod Touch is. Right now I believe the Zune HD only has 9 or so Apps and they are all in house ( From the Zune Marketplace: Shell Game... of the Future!, Space Battle 2, MSN Weather, Calculator, Hex, Goo Splat, Chess, Texas Hold 'Em, and Sudoku. I believe once again Microsoft is locking out the 3rd party devs from the Zune ( Can't remember where I saw it ).

I've seen parts of the iTouch interface, but from short glimpses of the Zune HD interface; I like the Zune HD interface much better. To me it's interface is more music orientated. You got a section for recently added media, pins (bookmarks for song, videos, or w/e you want to bookmark), smart dj mix (basically you type in an artist and the Zune will randomly compile a playlist of that artist and related artist. I for one think this is a great feature. It also incorporates the Zune Pass, if your a member. If not it will show them, but won't play the songs you don't own.), and history of recently played.

For me my next music player is going to be a netbook. Screw these mp3 players :P. Waiting for reviews of a Tegra Netbook.

Edited by Krazyxazn