HP DC7100 SFF Pentium 4

im a newbie here,

i have a question about upgrading a computer CPU,

im planning to change my processor to a core2quad processor

my computer spec is HP dc7100 sff pentium 4

the technician of the store that i've checked said that my computer or motherboard isnt compatible with the core 2 quad,

im living in Japan, and the man said it in Japanese, so that's why i didnt understand it at all,

i said that the socket of the processor of my motherboard is 755, but how come it's not compatible,

i all understand on what every time he said is it's impossible,

please i need anyone's help for this,

im a newbie here,

the technician of the store that i've checked said that my computer or motherboard isnt compatible with the core 2 quad,

im living in Japan, and the man said it in Japanese, so that's why i didnt understand it at all,

i said that the socket of the processor of my motherboard is 755, but how come it's not compatible,

its to do with the Bios of the motherboard . think of it like drivers for specific CPU's instead of hardware.

there is a SMALL possibility that it will work fine . i mean like 0.001%.

best to get a new cpu/mobo , also look into getting a Phenom II , you will save money and get about the same power for $$

its to do with the Bios of the motherboard . think of it like drivers for specific CPU's instead of hardware.

there is a SMALL possibility that it will work fine . i mean like 0.001%.

best to get a new cpu/mobo , also look into getting a Phenom II , you will save money and get about the same power for $$

sorry im kinda newbie on asembling parts and dont have enough knowledge on it,

what is a mobo,

what's the real problem im taking, is it about the MOBO?

what's the best thing to do to be able to use a core 2 quad processor while having this dc 7100 sff pentium 4 computer,

buy a new pc? dont tell me about that :(

im a newbie here,

What the salesman is trying to tell you is the problem is not whether your motherboard has a 775 pin socket and can physically fit the CPU but whether the motherboard "chipset" is compatible with this type of CPU. Coarsely, the CPU will communicate with the motherboard "chipset" (in particular North and South Bridge) via "instructions sets" and send out data to RAM, Video Cards etc to make the system operate. Your current motherboard has a very old chipset and cannot deliver the "complex instruction sets" needed for the system to run. Analogy, it's like a 5yo child who has never been in a car "communicating" with an adult how to drive, it just isn't going to work. You will find a list of compatible motherboard chipsets here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2#...d_compatibility

sorry im kinda newbie on asembling parts and dont have enough knowledge on it,

what is a mobo,

what's the real problem im taking, is it about the MOBO?

what's the best thing to do to be able to use a core 2 quad processor while having this dc 7100 sff pentium 4 computer,

buy a new pc? dont tell me about that :(

Motherboard=mobo, look either up on the net.

Motherboard=mobo, look either up on the net.

i see, lol,

i thought it's also a different brand of processor lol, coz on some sites that i visited to find out my problem, someone said mentioned together the word motherboard and the mobo,

What the salesman is trying to tell you is the problem is not whether your motherboard has a 775 pin socket and can physically fit the CPU but whether the motherboard "chipset" is compatible with this type of CPU. Coarsely, the CPU will communicate with the motherboard "chipset" (in particular North and South Bridge) via "instructions sets" and send out data to RAM, Video Cards etc to make the system operate. Your current motherboard has a very old chipset and cannot deliver the "complex instruction sets" needed for the system to run. Analogy, it's like a 5yo child who has never been in a car "communicating" with an adult how to drive, it just isn't going to work. You will find a list of compatible motherboard chipsets here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2#...d_compatibility

thanks for the time for answering my questions,

so the problem is the chip set of my motherboard, or let's say for easy thing that it is my 'motherboard'

so what another option i can choose, is it possible to buy a new motherboard with the same size as my motherboard with a compatible chip set on my desired type of processor? i think it's very hard to find, i need an exact size of motherboard that i can replace back on my computer case,

thanks for the time for answering my questions,

so the problem is the chip set of my motherboard, or let's say for easy thing that it is my 'motherboard'

so what another option i can choose, is it possible to buy a new motherboard with the same size as my motherboard with a compatible chip set on my desired type of processor? i think it's very hard to find, i need an exact size of motherboard that i can replace back on my computer case,

Frankly is this is your system (the one you linked) HP Compaq Business Desktop dc7100 It would not be worth the time and effort to try and find a motherboard to fit inside that case if not be impossible. You would have nothing but poor ventilation and the CPU would get very hot and have a short life. Basically you need a whole new system if you want to have a Quad Core.

What size is your computer case (could you link us to a page on HP's website maybe, that could contain alot of information about the computer to save us asking a series of questions)

In general, most motherboards are ATX size, and when you look at the specs of one, it will say ATX, so you can know it will fit.

However HP do make smaller computers which contain a uATX motherboard, and would not take a full ATX board. But you'll know if it is full size or not because there is a big difference.

As for the motherboard, something like this one would do, with the P45 chipset in this case. Or you could look down the AMD route, but it will pretty much have to be a new motherboard and new cpu, but the ram is probably fine and can be moved over.

Frankly is this is your system (the one you linked) HP Compaq Business Desktop dc7100 It would not be worth the time and effort to try and find a motherboard to fit inside that case if not be impossible. You would have nothing but poor ventilation and the CPU would get very hot and have a short life. Basically you need a whole new system if you want to have a Quad Core.

I agree wholeheartedly, the system appears to be a very cramped mini-BTX form factor??

New motherboard, CPU, RAM, case, graphics card. Sell the old stuff.

Topic split from sticky thread. Please make a new thread for new topics in future...

Also, welcome to OCC :)