problem with voltage in hex...

actionstan

ok im trying to raise my nb voltage a tiny bit but my voltage for my nb is in hexidecimal (what the heck?) and everything else is in normal voltages.. right now my current NB VID is 18 and i have no idea what voltages 18 coverts out to in hex any help is very welcome or even a full hex chart i could download and save would be amazing

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=0x18+in+decimal

hex is base 16... so it's goes 0 to 9 then continues A to F (so F is 15), the next after is 0x10, which is 16...

just like when you get to 9 in regular base 10, the next number is 10...

google: wiki hexadecimal

also... windows calculator can do Hex <-> Dec

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=0x18+in+decimal

hex is base 16... so it's goes 0 to 9 then continues A to F (so F is 15), the next after is 0x10, which is 16...

just like when you get to 9 in regular base 10, the next number is 10...

google: wiki hexadecimal

also... windows calculator can do Hex <-> Dec

im still amazingly confused so 18 hex is 24 in dec but whats that mean for voltage.. surly my nb voltage isnt 2.4? i think? i.m still so lost... sorry i tried googling it

No, 24 does not mean 2.4V. Most settings in the BIOS are set by the Hex code value. What we normally see in the BIOS as user selectable values are just a front-end pointing to those values. The only way to know for sure what Hex value corresponds to a particular voltage is to measure the actual voltage being set. If you can get a copy of the data sheet for the voltage controller you can map out the values also. That's not straight forward either though. In the BIOS you will have 256 possible settings. It is unlikely the controller will have that many steps. So you will be dealing with the lower end of the scale, the upper end, every other value or some other arbitrary pattern. Hex values are what the BIOS engineers work with. Usually when seen in the finished BIOS it is a selection that was added as an afterthought or is a setting that only a limited number of users will ever need.