What are the programming fields in the industry?

WhenKittensATK

I was wondering if anyone knew all the different branches of programming in the industry? Which fields and languages are more in demand?

I'm currently taking my last four classes to graduate with my AA, so I want to start on learning some more languages. I'll be starting my computer science classes next year. Not planning to learn them all at once, but it would be nice to have a set of languages that will compliment each other in the job market.

I have little/some experience with C and will most likely continue learning C. Currently taking a web design class, that uses html and xhtml. So far it's pretty fun and easy to use.

I'd say just continue with C, but move onto C++, learn some C# and .Net, PHP is also C-like... learn all that and then maybe a bit of SQL/ASP and that covers most of it :)

C++ is the main thing though, learn that and you can learn anything else really easily (because it's either almost exactly the same, or it's just a case of learning the different way of doing the same procedure, you'll already understand the concept of coding)

Once you have a good understanding of C, moving to C++ is the logical path and then going to a higher level language like C# or Java is relatively trivial.

Web-oriented programming seems to be in demand, very often with some sort of database running behind it.

Around here everyone wants C# / .NET and SQL Server, JAVA, or Oracle. Sadly (for me anyway) there is very little need for PHP/MySQL.

I'd stick with C, since pretty much everything else is a derivative of C. It'll make moving into anything else pretty easy.

C is in demand in the tech and high performance computing industry more than pretty much anything else. Once you've mastered C moving on to other languages is relatively easy as well.

Edited by Waco

You need a web language and a database language. Everyone wants web-enabled everything and they want it hooked up to a database. For database, the big shops will probably use Oracle but smaller shops will use SQL Server or something like that. I'd recommend downloading some SQL Server resources and playing around with building your own databases. For web-enabled, it's basically .NET (C#/ASP) or Java. I'd recommend .NET first all the way for simplicity as well as for the amount of support out there. .NET has fantastic tools built right into their IDE for support.

Once you've got a basic grip on both of those, try to connect them. Build a small web-based .NET app that talks to your SQL Server database. If you can do that, you're in REALLY good shape.

If you want to get into the good stuff, as in embedded programming, then all you really need is C. My school started me out with Java, and it is really easy to pick up but I much prefer C and even C++ to Java. I'm also down with the VHDL which is also useful for embedded programming.

If you haven't figured it out, I really like embedded programming :D