windows xp help

DanTheGamer11

Do you have a reinstall disc? You'll probably have to run some commands from the Recovery Console. I'd first check the health of the hard drive, then try some mbr repair commands. sfc /scannow might also help.

Do you have a reinstall disc? You'll probably have to run some commands from the Recovery Console. I'd first check the health of the hard drive, then try some mbr repair commands. sfc /scannow might also help.

What commads? I have oem version of the os disc, does it matter if its oem?

OEM is fine. fixmbr and fixboot come to mind, there are a list of commands in the recovery console. To scan the hard drive for errors, chkdsk.

Having said that, it's worth trying, but I've always ended up with a reformat when I got a black screen after the spalsh screen. :(

Hopefully someone else will have some more advanced ideas. Did you try what pezcore said? If you can stop the rebooting you might get an error screen with useful information.

• 2 months later...
OEM is fine. fixmbr and fixboot come to mind, there are a list of commands in the recovery console. To scan the hard drive for errors, chkdsk.

Having said that, it's worth trying, but I've always ended up with a reformat when I got a black screen after the spalsh screen. :(

Hopefully someone else will have some more advanced ideas. Did you try what pezcore said? If you can stop the rebooting you might get an error screen with useful information.

I didn't see the option...

I think I should upgrade to win7 and copy all data to it..

go into the BIOS and turn off the option to reboot on errors, if you can

That's not a BIOS option, that's an option in Windows. It won't help if he's crashing on boot though.

Always partition your HDD.That way if you have to reinstall you wont lose all your data,only the OS and programs.
Reinstalling doesn't require a format.

I'd try running Fixboot to start.

Edited by Waco