antivirus which one to install

N.E.A

I think you'll do fine with Avast, AVG or Avira. They all have annoyances, it's largely which annoyances annoy you the most.

Avast needs yearly registration and leaves a screen to shut off on every start.

AVG free lacks rootkit protection and can be heavy, but you can shut off individual services if you don't want them.

Avira has an annoying splash screen, and you have to uninstall/reinstall if you want to make a change in what protection you want, or reset the list of what gets blocked.

I've grown to like the Comodo firewall/av suite, I've got it on a couple of machines about a year and a half now with no issues. I run Comodo firewall on everything anyways, so it's just one download.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a find that I found today in another forum especially for those of you that use Razer stuff.

Another reason I like Trendmicro

Peripheral manufacturer Razer was left with egg on its face this week by the revelation that it had been unwittingly distributing malware with its driver updates.

The Trojan - troj.dropper.jiz, which downloads and installs a copy of worm.aspxor.ab - was spotted on Razer's product support website by anti-virus vendor Trend Micro - and reported by DownloadSquad - earlier this week.

Trend Micro's analysis of the website has shown that at least eight separate driver packages offered by Razer's support site came with the unwanted bonus, and the company claims that only "7 out of 41 [anti-virus] vendors offered generic detection" of this particular worm - meaning it's potentially difficult for an end-user to know that they've been infected.

The worm, which spreads by opening a random TCP port on the infected system and connecting to external SMTP servers in order to send spam with itself as an attachment, isn't a particularly nice thing to have installed on your system: accordingly, Razer are advising users to make use of free anti-virus scanners available online from Trend Micro and Avast.

Razer has temporarily taken its support site offline while it investigates the issue and checks to make sure it has caught all instances of the Trojan before making driver downloads available once more.

This isn't the first time a trusted brand has been subverted to spread malware, of course: sites as big as The New York Times have been used to peddle Trojans in the past, and even computers which aren't connected to the Internet aren't necesarilly safe with peripherals and even the computers themselves coming pre-loaded with viruses. The lesson is: if you use Windows, install an anti-virus package.

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently using AVG anti-virus because it identify and remove viruses, worms.. Care for your files, scans and cleans infection from e-mail attachment and Internet downloads automatically. Block spy wares former than they get installed on your PC. Protects your time unaccompanied by detecting and cleaning spy wares and blocking their actions of individuality stealing automatically. Firewall protects next to known and unidentified internal as well as external network based attacks.

i like Avira AntiVir

Not on the list of choices, but Avira AV gets a thumbs up from me too. Frankly any decent AV is better than none.

I like NOD32 and it has worked fine up to and including W7 versions.

Avast has been good to me in the past.

Still use AVG on my travel laptop and some of the workstations in the office and at home.

But my main - never can die rig - is running Avira and it has been top spot. Even their free version is pretty outstanding if you don't mind a daily pop up about upgrading. My only complaint with Avira is that it's detection library is very stiff and you WILL get some false positives. But you can configure it to exclude files, folders, directories or even entire drives. Once you get it set up the first time it's pretty much just forget it and let it do it's thing.

Norton and McAfee lost me for good years ago. TrendMicro was a great replacement in the day, but then they started walking down the same paths as Norton and McAfee.

Just my 2 cents worth.

+1 for TrendMicro. Have it scan at night when I am in bed automatically and I have never had any problems and it updates allll the time to stay current. Never showed any slowing down once installed.