Dead HD?

psycho_terror

i finally got myself a samsung F1 terabyte drive today, and went about clearing out one of my old drives.

after i was done, i reinserted my 320gb seagate 7200.10 and got a "hard disk failure" at the bios. windows disk manager can see the drive but cannot initialise it due to an "I/O device error".

is there any way to recover this drive? i already have a 320gb 7200.11 on the shelf after it went out in a similar way earlier this year and i'm getting a little suspicious. the fact that the drive i have removed is a 7200.7 which is still kicking after 5 years makes it seem even more bizarre.

any suggestions?

EDIT:

problem solved, turns out i had accidentally put the broken 7200.11 back into the case. i got over that loss long ago, so unless anyone knows how i can recover my 7200.11, this thread is now useless so feel free to delete it mods!

Edited by psycho_terror

problem solved, turns out i had accidentally put the broken 7200.11 back into the case. i got over that loss long ago, so unless anyone knows how i can recover my 7200.11, this thread is now useless so feel free to delete it mods!

Isn't it still under warranty? Just fill a RMA with Seagate

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say I had an excellent experience with Seagate support lately.

I had a 750GB die, which was sent to i365 (their data recovery division).

I shipped my drive on a Friday, they got it Tuesday and I got it back Thursday.

Now my 1TB had to be RMA'ed, so I shipped to Seagate.

I shipped it last Thursday, they got it this morning and I just got an email saying it was shipped tonight.

Okay, both failed which sucks, but at least support is good. In both cases, I had the drive back within 4 days, not bad at all!