Something to track hackers?

Assassin X

Ok wasn't sure if this was a Network or Software topic. Sorry.

I was in a chat at a forum I go to and they said someone was in the chat logged in as a guest using my IP. Which theres two problems with this. One the first time this person logged in my computer was scanning for viruses because I did have a trojan (somehow) and no one was on the computer (my parents don't really use it). Later when they said this person was on my computer wasn't even on nor was the DSL line plugged into the PC. However my 360 was on and connected to the net.

So anyways what I am asking is, is there any software to use that lets me see whos hacking/intruding into my PC? I use to have that black ice defender but I don't own it anymore. Like wise is there a program to also trace that person once I have them?

Thanks for any help!

Don't you use a router? That makes it nearly impossible to hack into a computer.

Anyways, I know firewall software like ZoneAlarm keep logs, but even then I think you'll have to go through your ISP to trace it. I might be wrong though...

Firewalls can monitor connections to your computer and there are also various other network monitoring software programs out there that can do the same thing.

How did the person who accessed your computer do it?

I'm sure he didn't just hack into your computer and start fixing it he probably used a program like remote assistance or remote desktop or a type of VNC program to access your computer. I'd just find the program he used to remotely connect to your computer and then disable it and then you shouldn't have to worrie about un-authorized access of your computer.

Well I know my router has a built in firewall. Its a 2-wire. At least I think its a router. I was never good at the networking end. The trojan I had allowed backdoor entry into my computer. Thats the only way I can figure they got access. I got rid of those trojans but now my computer seems to bog down for no reason.

I'm not stupid though. I checked again for any viruses/trojans...etc. Theres nothing there. I even ran that Hijack program and didn't see anything. My Task Manger shows no new process I am unaware of and theres nothing using 99% of CPU power except the normal System Idle Process. So I am lost. Maybe whatever happened screwed up my memory! Also I should point out the trojan only affected some useless game files, nothing important.

I'm sure he didn't just hack into your computer and start fixing it he probably used a program like remote assistance or remote desktop or a type of VNC program to access your computer. I'd just find the program he used to remotely connect to your computer and then disable it and then you shouldn't have to worrie about un-authorized access of your computer.

Exactly, it's extremely unlikely that someone broke into your computer without using one of those tools.

When you check out your IP address within Windows, is it 192.168.0/1.xxx ? If so, you're behind NAT and makes hacking even more unlikely.