Having trouble OC'ing my Phenom II x3 720BE

Fenrise

Hey OCC, got a new computer last week and I've been having a hell of a time trying to OC my Phenom x3 720.

Get this thing stable at 3.4GHz, I have to bump the voltage up .1 from 1.325V, giving me 1.426V. According to most websites, I should be able to get 3.4GHz on stock voltage stable cake.

I figure whatever, maybe it just needs some voltage. So, I try bumping up the multi to 16.5, instant BSoD when trying to log in; so I try to up the voltage a little, same thing. A little more... same thing. I drop the multi back down and try to bump just the voltage, same problem.

Do I have a lemon of a CPU? Is this thing just destined to never OC beyond 3.4? From what I read, 3.7GHz was kind of the standard.

i do not think that is possible getting 3.4 with the normal voltage ...........what is your cpu cooler ........and other specs please ......?

WELCOME TO OCC ...........:)......................

I am at 3.4 on stock voltage

be sure you did not mess with other things like the northbridge before tweaking the CPU

you might need to increase the voltage some to run stable at 3.4, don't worry about it if you have to

going over 3.4 you will definitely need to increase the voltage and even need a non stock cooler.

I'm running a Coolmaster 212+ with temps around 23C idle and 33C load, this is at 3.2GHz.

Other system specs:

G.SKILL 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1333

Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P AMD790X (BIOS version F4)

ASUS Radeon 4870 Dk 750MHZ 1GB

Corsair TX750W 750W

Edited by Fenrise