hooking up a PS3 to my PC setup

molotovdaskwerl

ok

pretty soon my friend is wanting to sell his PS3 to get a slim, for space purposes, so i go "i want a PS3, i wanna buy"

now the problem i'm facing is i wanna set it up to my PC setup, either directly to the PC itself, or to my monitor

now there is an issue that if i simply hook it up to the monitor to get sound, i know i can hook it up to my headset to get sound threw, i've seen various methods for this, the question is if there is a way to set it up that i can use my carcharias as my headset for mic and sound purposes

i had a theory that a usb soundcard would work? what do you guys think

ok

pretty soon my friend is wanting to sell his PS3 to get a slim, for space purposes, so i go "i want a PS3, i wanna buy"

now the problem i'm facing is i wanna set it up to my PC setup, either directly to the PC itself, or to my monitor

now there is an issue that if i simply hook it up to the monitor to get sound, i know i can hook it up to my headset to get sound threw, i've seen various methods for this, the question is if there is a way to set it up that i can use my carcharias as my headset for mic and sound purposes

i had a theory that a usb soundcard would work? what do you guys think

it may work , but you will never know till you try .... :rolleyes:

you need an optical digital input with full real-time Dolby Decoding...

there are not many soundcards that have this ability

some hardware tricks exist to enable DD decode on optical input...

it's a very tricky process that not many people actually get to work

^ this all applies for audio coming out of the PS3... not for the mic

just buy a PS3 headset and save yourself a headache... it's probably the same or less than a soundcard capable of DD decode on optical, plus you get the mic capabliity

you need an optical digital input with full real-time Dolby Decoding...

there are not many soundcards that have this ability

some hardware tricks exist to enable DD decode on optical input...

it's a very tricky process that not many people actually get to work

^ this all applies for audio coming out of the PS3... not for the mic

just buy a PS3 headset and save yourself a headache... it's probably the same or less than a soundcard capable of DD decode on optical, plus you get the mic capabliity

wow , and i did not think of that at all .....:D:lol:

The way I used to use my PS3 before I got a HDTV was the following:

PS3 optical into my Audigy 2 ZS' front panel. Then PS3 hdmi into my hdmi switch IN. Monitor dvi to hdmi into hdmi switch OUT. Video card dvi to hdmi into hdmi switch IN. Sound devices plugged into sound card.

so you have the PS3 sound going through the sound card, in turn going to my headset, which is connected to the computer, and a switch that switches signal output between the PS3 and PC

one question can you use ur mic with that setup, it's not a big deal but i'd still like to be able to do it

not familiar with optical cables

Edited by molotovdaskwerl

Never tried a PC mic or headset mic. Used the bluetooth headset that was sold with the game Warhawk.

I'll test my PS3 with my Logitech USB Mic later, it's just too much of a hassle to disconnect the PS3 and bring it to hook up on the computer to test for a headset mic.

Edited by Krazyxazn