Sign in to follow this  
legit

need a new system, is it worth it?

Hey all,

So my 2004 build is getting ehemm... lets say a little old.

At any rate, I need a new system. I want something that can support dual 1920x1080 monitors and will fully work with both windows and linux.

Im looking at a budget of $1000 - $1500 for the system (not including monitors/peripherals).

So I'm basically just wondering if I could get more for my money if I built the system myself (keep in mind shipping/taxes) or would buying a prebuilt system be more for my money?

I noticed the alienware Area-51 X58 wartime addition (http://www.alienware.com/customize/a51-x58-desktop-wte.aspx?SysCode=PC-A51-X58-WARTIME&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT) which seems pretty decent for the money.

My knowledge is out of date a bit so I could be completely mistaken on whats good for the money though.

Any advice?

thanks

+ arctic silver (or whatever)

- 640GB HDD

+ 1TB HDD

Current prices on terabyte hard drives make anything else a terrible deal, in my opinion. 5-10 bucks more gets you 33% more storage. The rest looks good to me. I just picked up a GTX 275 myself and am anxious to test it tomorrow :)

Edited by pezcore

+ arctic silver (or whatever)

- 640GB HDD

+ 1TB HDD

Current prices on terabyte hard drives make anything else a terrible deal, in my opinion. 5-10 bucks more gets you 33% more storage. The rest looks good to me. I just picked up a GTX 275 myself and am anxious to test it tomorrow :)

Changes made

Edited by xchrissypoox

For CPU cooler I'd recommend a TRUE or Core Contact Freezer.

Go for an HAF 932/922 if your budget permits you.

It's a great build otherwise...!!

Edited by nns

For CPU cooler I'd recommend a TRUE or Core Contact Freezer.

Go for an HAF 932/922 if your budget permits you.

It's a great build otherwise...!!

To be honest, I have a Xigmatek S1283 Red Scorpion, Which is essentially the same cooler as recommended in the cart, but with a red fan instead of black.

It has H.D.T (Heat-Pipe Direct Touch) which the TRUE lacks (just something to note) and I find it performs extremely well, I idle ~16C and never above ~26C Load. It is silent, and comes with thermal compound.

I think staying with that recommended cooler would be best, It comes with free shipping too which is a bonus.

I idle ~16C and never above ~26C Load. It is silent, and comes with thermal compound.

Your room temperature must be pretty low :O

Fan is not an issue it can be installed on a TRUE...

Considering the other aspects ur choice seems better..

Consider a case upgrade though

Your room temperature must be pretty low :O

That's what I was thinking.

Reminds me of the dude who had his comp outside during winter (in Iceland) during a benchmarking session!