Please help with Noctua U12P SE2 configuration

GageJC

Case is Coolermaster ATCS 840

Mobo is Gigabyte GA-P55-UD6

RAM is 8GB Corsair Dominator set for LGA1156

CPU i7 860 (coming soon) overclocked to at least 4GHz

Already have the socket 1156 adapter from Noctua

With this mobo, the heatsink can only be installed vertically because of the RAM slots. When installed vertically, there's not enough room on the side near the RAM to install a fan (the kit comes with two fans). On the other side there's room for a fan, but then that fan is right next to the 120mm case fan which is blowing outwards. Common sense tells me that it's not good to have the case fan blowing outwards and a fan right next to it blowing inwards. So that leaves me with two choices (as far as I can see): to install the fan blowing in the same direction as the case fan next to it, or to install the heat sink with no fans.

The problem with the first choice is that then the only fan attached to the heatsink is blowing air away from the heatsink, instead of into it. Wouldn't that lose efficiency?

Concerning the second choice, I wonder if the ATCS 840 has enough airflow to keep the standalone heatsink cool without any heatsink fans.

Does anyone have any advice for this setup?

Or do you suggest that I get a different CPU cooler? If so, then which cooler do you recommend?

Pics are attached:

1st pic shows how tight the area is. 2nd shows how there's no room for the Noctua fan on the right side because of the RAM. 3rd pic shows how close the Noctua fan would be to the case fan if installed on the left.

post-68241-1251995005.jpg

post-68241-1251995015.jpg

post-68241-1251995024.jpg

Thanks a lot! :)

Oh, by the way, can someone please tell me which fan connector is best to use for the Corsair Dominator fan? thanks!

Edited by GageJC

Third pic looks fine, just make sure the fan is blowing towards the back. You can also install the fan on the other side the heatsink, it'll just be sitting higher and won't look as pretty. The Noctua cooler is pretty much the best you can get for 1156 right now

Third pic looks fine, just make sure the fan is blowing towards the back. You can also install the fan on the other side the heatsink, it'll just be sitting higher and won't look as pretty. The Noctua cooler is pretty much the best you can get for 1156 right now

That was a good idea that I never thought of. I tried it, and if it works, it'll just barely fit, because when the fan is raised up, it might hit the case wall. I'll have to wait for the CPU to arrive before I do the final test with that. Thanks for the idea, I would've never thought of that.

Just slide the Corsair ram fan to the right to gain extra room

That's a great idea. Unfortunately, then the heatsinks on the Dominators are still in the way of the Noctua fan. I didn't know that the Dominators were so huge! Maybe I should've stuck with some small profile RAM, but it's too late now. Last time I purchased RAM (about 6 years ago) they were all small and simple.

I thank you both for your ideas, because I'll probably end up using both of them. I'll slide the Corsair fan to the side and I'll have the Noctua fan raised up. The Noctua fan won't be so high up when the Corsair fan is shifted a little. You don't think this will affect RAM performance, do you? Sheesh, I wonder how necessary those big RAM fans are anyway. The RAM heatsinks themselves are humongous.