Worklog: Obsidian Dragon

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, there won't be much moar till Wednesday, when the case comes in. I am also waiting on my sleeving to arrive from MDPC ;) But towards the end of this week, there will be many pics! In the meantime, here's a quick sketch of how I plan to set the loop up:

case.th.jpg

If anyone has alternate suggestions, please, shoot them my way. I don't want to interrupt the airflow from the bottom of the case, so I'm trying to avoid that.

Another update. I ended up impulse buying a 1 TB MyBook Western Digital external hard drive at Best Buy. It was $65! I couldn't turn it down! It's technically a mac drive, so I had to format it, but that was easy enough:

img8916b.th.jpg

img8922e.th.jpg

img8927d.th.jpg

img8930.th.jpg

And some pictures of the tubing I got:

img8938.th.jpg

img8933t.th.jpg

img8931.th.jpg

img8941f.th.jpg

Here are the promised pictures! I do not yet have pictures of the completed build; you'll have to wait until my sleeving arrives and I finish sleeving stuff. Okay, I might post some pictures of it as is... but not tonight ;)

Some shots of the case:

img8950.th.jpg

img8996.th.jpg

img8952n.th.jpg

img8953s.th.jpg

img8962h.th.jpg

img8958.th.jpg

img8959b.th.jpg

img8992.th.jpg

img8988v.th.jpg

img8955.th.jpg

img8954u.th.jpg

img8965f.th.jpg

img8969n.th.jpg

img9007b.th.jpg

img9008v.th.jpg

img9009z.th.jpg

img9022.th.jpg

Comparison of my Cooler Master RC 690 to it:

img9002o.th.jpg

img9027y.th.jpg

img9003a.th.jpg

Fitting the res and pump:

img9030j.th.jpg

img9036up.th.jpg

img9041n.th.jpg

img9047q.th.jpg

img9044d.th.jpg

I apologize for the quality... this case was difficult to photograph. It's black AND it shines a bit ;)

The other part of this update is I will be buying motherboard, CPU, and RAM next week. Long story short, got a killer deal on a Phenom II 965, and found someone to buy my old motherboard, CPU, RAM, and power supply. So by next weekend hopefully I'll be able to fit the new motherboard and get some results.

Thanks! It looks even better completed. I had only one small leak which is now fixed. The res wasn't screwed together tight enough! :rofl:

Just to give an idea of the improvement over air, at stock, I went from 33C idle to 27C idle and 50C max load to 36C max load. At 1.4V and 3.6GHz (which is far less than I required on air), I was at 33C idle and 42C full load. Even at 1.52V and 3.8 GHz, I only hit 46C max load. Considering I couldn't even boot windows at that frequency before, let alone stress test (it did fail after ~20 minutes) for any length of time, I'm impressed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hrm, I appear to have fibbed on when I'd get new pics up. Fail on my part, due to far too much work all semester. Things are winding down and I've got some updates for you patient folks! This is just a straight copy and paste from my worklog over at XS.

Well, it's been quite some time since I posted any updates, and I apologize for that. But, it's about time. First off, what's been going on: I've been busy as *insert string of vulgarities that would get me banned :D* this semester. Having time to work on my computer, let alone take pictures, crop and resize them, and upload them, has been difficult to find.

Second, what's changed:

I picked up an HD 5870, EK Nickle Plated waterblock for it, a PA 120.2 24.5mm spacing, and a Typhoon III bay res. I grabbed 2 Scythe S-Flex 1900 RPM fans, since GentleTyphoon 1450 RPM and 1850 RPM are out of stock, or incredibly expensive, everywhere.

Third: PICTURES!!!!

Fitting the radiator down below. With the shroud, it was a tight damn fit!!

traviscase068.jpg

traviscase074.jpg

Waterblock mounted on the video card:

traviscase077.jpg

traviscase080.jpg

traviscase081.jpg

traviscase083.jpg

Since you never got them before, some shots of the HK on my board. I switched out the 90 degree rotaries with some 45 degree rotaries. The 90s are going to go down on the radiator... since I need them in order to NOT kink the tubing.

traviscase084.jpg

traviscase085.jpg

traviscase086.jpg

traviscase087.jpg