EVGA annouces the Classified X58 four way SLi Motherboard

I always thought it was a driver limitation invented by nVidia.

I want to see some real world benchmarks with one of these setups. Someone beg eVga to send us one of these setups for evaluation.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought it was a driver limitation invented by nVidia.

I want to see some real world benchmarks with one of these setups. Someone beg eVga to send us one of these setups for evaluation.

yea someone explain 4 way sli to me. im sure others are confused too

I thought 4 way SLI well, doesnt exist . (not counting quad sli using dual gpu boards)

how did eVga manage to do this? i thought it had to come from nVidia through drivers or whatever

Edited by ShallowBay

yea someone explain 4 way sli to me. im sure others are confused too

I thought 4 way SLI well, doesnt exist . (not counting quad sli using dual gpu boards)

how did eVga manage to do this? i thought it had to come from nVidia through drivers or whatever

see what you do is you put the lime in the coconut and you shake it all up.

You may qualify for mental health benefits after having typed that.

Seriously I'd like this explained by someone who's not legally retarded.

Edited by rourkchris

Hahaha, Truely rofled.

Anyway, On topic, This thing is a beast! Real hawt. I cant imagine it being practical though. Nice idea in theory though, Maybe I just dont understand it well enough :P

They have had Quad SLI for awhile. Some of their older stuff was capable for it as well, think the 8800 ultra had it when they first came out and the cards were retailing for 799.99 each. I would assume the support for it was still in there some were and evga found a way to use it. That or it's something on the NF200 sli chip they put on all sli ready cards, and possibly a combination of both. As for a power supply with enough connectors the silverstone st1500 should have enough, I think it's the PSU they used in the WW runs they made with all this stuff tbh, all though it was a prototype model without the modular cables, but you can see it in the video sitting on it's side.

EDIT: heres a link to that PSU st1500 it has 8 - 6pin and 4 - 8 pin each of the 8 pins can be used as 6 pins all of which are dedicated spicifically for vga, there are still 2 more 8 pin for the mb for the cpu, not to mention tons of sata and 4 pin molex you could likely combine for even more 6pin connectors.

Edited by Bigfwd69

They have had Quad SLI for awhile. Some of their older stuff was capable for it as well, think the 8800 ultra had it when they first came out and the cards were retailing for 799.99 each. I would assume the support for it was still in there some were and evga found a way to use it. That or it's something on the NF200 sli chip they put on all sli ready cards, and possibly a combination of both. As for a power supply with enough connectors the silverstone st1500 should have enough, I think it's the PSU they used in the WW runs they made with all this stuff tbh, all though it was a prototype model without the modular cables, but you can see it in the video sitting on it's side.

EDIT: heres a link to that PSU st1500 it has 8 - 6pin and 4 - 8 pin each of the 8 pins can be used as 6 pins all of which are dedicated spicifically for vga, there are still 2 more 8 pin for the mb for the cpu, not to mention tons of sata and 4 pin molex you could likely combine for even more 6pin connectors.

The PSU in your link has 4 8 pin and 4 6 pin for a total of 8 PCI-E. That leaves using 4 6 pin PCI-E adapters. I wouldn't neccessarily like balancing the load across 8 12v rails either.

It's all a rather moot point as I'll never personally invest in this board, the PSU(s), or the video cards for it. Granted it would be fun to benchmark 3D Mark and see the scores but I can't see any other practical use-though practical use it seems isn't what this was designed for. I can't imagine that I'd be able to even see a difference playing games over a pair of 285s in 2 way SLI-even in Crysis. The hardware loving side of me is fascinated by this but is tempered by the practical side. I'm still curious as to why 4 way SLI with 4 cards would work on this but not other boards. I hope somebody comes along who can explain it(without limes and coconuts or whatever BS that was).

Edited by rourkchris

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Power/T...w0171/w0171.asp

id use one these and all the 8 pins use the 8 pin to 6 pin splitter giving you 12 connections the 8 pins are able to handle more power soo it should be fine... either way again i see no point in these unless the post some miracle of a difference between the stander 285gtx id just say wait and do quad 380 gtx :P which depending on my financial options when i9's come around i may do

The PSU in your link has 4 8 pin and 4 6 pin for a total of 8 PCI-E. That leaves using 4 6 pin PCI-E adapters. I wouldn't neccessarily like balancing the load across 8 12v rails either.

I own this PSU and i can assure you newegg.s specs are wrong as they always are it has 4 8pin and 8 6pin pci-e connectors alone, plus alot of others, theres like way too many connections on this PSU, it's pretty insane.

I'm still curious as to why 4 way SLI with 4 cards would work on this but not other boards. I hope somebody comes along who can explain it(without limes and coconuts or whatever BS that was).

I think the X58 can run 3-way SLI natively, but you need the nVidia NF200 bridge chip to add the extra SLI "channel"...

Some boards in the past have used 2-way native SLI + NF200 to give 3-way SLI... I guess you could use two NF200s to native 2-way to get 4-way? It's probably just a case of putting the lime in the coconut and hooking both of them up

I own this PSU and i can assure you newegg.s specs are wrong as they always are it has 4 8pin and 8 6pin pci-e connectors alone, plus alot of others, theres like way too many connections on this PSU, it's pretty insane.

I see. I looked at SilverStone's website and there are Four PCI-E 8pin, eight PCI-E 6pin. http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_c...T1500&area=