paulktreg

Any old farts out there?

1st PC was a Commodore64 and I messed with some Vic20s....

then it was an Apple IIe

then I took a very long break....didnt touch a darn thing until 2000 when I bought a Compac Presario with a AMD K-6 500mhz PC with Win98se

and from there I havent got out from behind it...

Tell me what is it like outside these days...?

Home built 486 and its been a long slide down the hill since. Never owned a prebuilt

At your age I figured that first thing technical you played with was a morse code machine :P

My first was a prebuild 486DX2 also... it either had 8 or 16mb of ram and ran windows 3.0 or 3.1 I can't remember really and then it was upgraded to win 95.

Second was a PI 200mHz with 64mb of ram which was later upped to 128mb of ram and then finally 256mb of ram. The proc was then later replaced with a K6-II 333 which overclocked to 450mHz.

Edited by Compxpert

the program was stored on 1" paper tape.

wow paper lol... I remember my dad telling me a time when he had to carry a box of punched cards from one university building to another, and he tripped up on a paving stone and the cards scattered everywhere... there was around 100 cards in the box, and they were the program for a computer... after shouting and swearing, he had to pick up the cards and put them back in the box in the correct order... he mumbled angrily to himself:

"COMPUTERS? What a load of rubbish! They'll never catch on..."

:lol:

wow paper lol... I remember my dad telling me a time when he had to carry a box of punched cards from one university building to another, and he tripped up on a paving stone and the cards scattered everywhere... there was around 100 cards in the box, and they were the program for a computer... after shouting and swearing, he had to pick up the cards and put them back in the box in the correct order... he mumbled angrily to himself:

Oh yeah, I remember those days as well. Dropping a box of cards was almost a rite of passage. You could always put a sequence number in columns 72-80 - we had a machine at school used to sort cards based on the numbers - it was about 20 feet long and it took several passes and a lot of hand sorting to get everything back in the right sequence. Most people never bothered with the numbering though.

yep we punched out our programs on keypunch machines in big decks of keyunch/tabulator cards and then ran them thru a card reader. the card reader transferred the program to huge magnetic tape reels which then had to be cataloged and and run on a gigantic reel to reel tape reader for the compiler to process...wheww i'm gettin tired just thinkin about it....(we called that state of the art)

the cards were numbered by the way just in case a programmer witha hangover trips on a WAC or a paving stone or some such :lol:

At your age I figured that first thing technical you played with was a morse code machine :P

Smoke signals were the first thing

My dad was a programmer in the Army and we always had an abundance of the punch cards around to play with. But then again that was 35 or more years ago.

Atari 400 w/16kB RAM (eventually upgraded to a whopping 48kB) and a cassette player to load the cool stuff like Frogger. I finally got a 5-1/4" floppy drive, oh boy.

I learned to do some Basic Programming on this thing and Star Raiders on cartridge was awesome!