Top 25 consoles of all time

InCrYsIs

ever played oblivion or fallout 3 and done everything in the game....not to mention if you add mods or expansions on. But I know what you're saying, zelda was a classy lady to beat, even with the map and walkthroughs it still takes me a couple hours. Ninja Gaiden is well....a Ninja Gaiden and the difficulty alone keeps you playing for good amounts of time.

No I agree that there are plenty of games now that eat up time but now the games are on DVD. Back then there was a lot of game packed into that cartridge.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That a good point.

At what era of gaming did the commercials or box art for the game actually portray even remotely the actual graphics?

Overlooking the boxes or commercials that actually showed the gameplay, what game was the first to look similar to its ad art?

I was super young when I played it (born '90) so it was way to hard, and that feeling has stuck with me, if I had to choose a different crappy game it would be Silent Service.

Fair enough, I can respect that. :)

It WAS hard - definitely one of the harder games. Though I think Kid Icarus takes the cake for difficulty - now that is one hard game you loved to hate. I downloaded it for the Wii and tried replaying it and thought to myself ...OMG, I must have been a gaming masochist genius back then... there is no way in hell I'm putting up with this now.

What I loved most about all these old systems was how long it took to play some of these games through. I don't know about you guys but games like mario, ninja gaiden and zelda took a long time to beat. Oh and Mike Tyson's punchout was an awesome time consuming game.

Yup! Exactly! Now all the stellar games seem to be about 6-10hr playtime - granted I haven't played Fallout 3. But Ogre Battle for SNES can easily 100s of hours and having so many different endings makes the replay value even greater. I think the only Current Gen games I've replayed is Gears of War.

Remember back then, gaming mags also had the "Fun Factor" rating? Shame the gaming devs forced magazines to stop doing that. I miss that rating.

I adored the N64 and other cartridge systems as you didn't have to watch paint dry for the thing to load *cough cough PS1 cough*

Same here. So many people were peeved the N64 stayed cartridge but I was happy camper. ^_^

I can't stand load times. Being able to go from one fire fight Mario Kart to the next was godsend, as was doing the same in GoldenEye. Going from fight to fight in Tekkan on the PS1 was serious test in patience ...especially when your friend is notorious for getting bored in between rounds and spilling Kool-Aid on the floor... <_<

At what era of gaming did the commercials or box art for the game actually portray even remotely the actual graphics?

Overlooking the boxes or commercials that actually showed the gameplay, what game was the first to look similar to its ad art?

NES box art was spot on - in all its pixelated supremeness in the beginning - see Metroid and Super Mario Bros. Think it started gravitating more toward artwork later on. As by the SNES and SEGA Genesis it was all artwork.

I adored the N64 and other cartridge systems as you didn't have to watch paint dry for the thing to load *cough cough PS1 cough*

Yes load times sucked. The Resident Evil games were so good though I could care less. The first 3 RE games were just off the charts good. So much better than the last few titles. Those are the only 3 games I played on PS1.

Yes load times sucked. The Resident Evil games were so good though I could care less. The first 3 RE games were just off the charts good. So much better than the last few titles. Those are the only 3 games I played on PS1.

Load times were ok sometimes because it gave you some time to prepare your game face :lol:

• 2 weeks later...