6-core 32nm Westmere 3D mark 06 and Vantage

rourkchris

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...3view%26hl%3Den

Thought some might be interested in seeing this. Looks like no real advantage in gaming. Hopefully that will change. Results were with a GTX 295 detail set on low and 1024x768 resolution. Power consumption at load appears to be 160 watts.

Wow these look great, can't wait til there out for desktops, so I can just oust my Q9550! :thumbs-up:

Your Q9950 will likely be much faster in pretty much any game you throw at it...

We can barely use Dual cores, let alone Quads, and people are already planning to move to 6-core? no thanks....

I really only see the benefit of extra cores in Servers, where for YEARS things have been SMP enabled. Desktop has a LONG LONG way to go before any real benefit will become apparent.

Pete I agree on the gaming part, but not on the other stuff. Btw, there are already 6 core Opterons which you run on a dual socket mobo so 12 cores, Intel is already behind :P

You need more cores to do more work in servers and things like that.

Is that out yet? No.

You're right. However, six cores aren't necessarily faster than four.

As much as AMD has (or should have) dominated the server market before and during the Core 2 days with their Opteron's, which we're superior on many aspects, it really isn't the case anymore. Yes, having a powerful Intel isn't the perfect situation for the consumer, but you can't deny the fact that Nehalem is superior to Shanghai and Istanbul in many/most server applications. I'm not saying AMD's processors aren't good, in fact I admire them for being able to compete with the much larger company Intel is.

Oh and, Intel itself pretty much killed their 6-core Dunnington with Nehalem!

Back to that Slot 1 Pentium II now :)