Phenom II X4 955 OC/Temps

Buraq

I am new to OCing, this is my 3rd built rig but this one was built for OC potential. It is only phase 1 of my build, I got teh Koolance ERM-2K3U coming soon and ENGTX295 SLI coming soon. As of right now what do you all think of these results :

phenomoc.jpg

Those temps look kind of high for only 3.6ghz, how many volts are you running??

it said 1.35 on his cpuz i think.. thats not really all that bad.. could be better, i think mucher higher though on the black edition phe2 quads people switch to highquality air.. or water cooling.. in the 3.8 ghz range but im jelous so good job! lol

it said 1.35 on his cpuz i think.. thats not really all that bad.. could be better, i think mucher higher though on the black edition phe2 quads people switch to highquality air.. or water cooling.. in the 3.8 ghz range but im jelous so good job! lol

The Core Vid in CPU-Z is reporting the stock voltage. For some reason CPU-Z does not report the real time temps. The vCore is set to 1.40 @ 3.616 Mhz. On idle the cores are 36c. Atm I cannot get 3.8Mhz to be stable due to over heating. The bigwater I have doesnt really do the job in getting rid of the heat as it should. I would virtually have to remove it out of the case and put it over my AC vent so the cold air would go through the Rad. Havent tried it yet but its tempting. When I get 3.8 stable I ill report back.

Thank you for your feed backs though.

The Core Vid in CPU-Z is reporting the stock voltage. For some reason CPU-Z does not report the real time temps. The vCore is set to 1.40 @ 3.616 Mhz. On idle the cores are 36c. Atm I cannot get 3.8Mhz to be stable due to over heating. The bigwater I have doesnt really do the job in getting rid of the heat as it should. I would virtually have to remove it out of the case and put it over my AC vent so the cold air would go through the Rad. Havent tried it yet but its tempting. When I get 3.8 stable I ill report back.

Thank you for your feed backs though.

yeah see if you can get it running better or I'd suggest running a better cooler on it if you were to want to take the chip further. My 940 runs like 47C load with just a Thermaltake DuOrb

I see whats going on now and I think its bizar to be doing this compared to other people experiences. It seems I have to add alot of voltage for this thing to be stable, with that i need a really good H2O system to get where I want to go with this.

I got to 3.8Ghz with no instant BSOD but my temps after about 3 mins started reaching 62c so I had to shut prime down. At 3.8 Mhz I had to raise the vCore up to 1.53v to get rid of the "instant" BSOD ? WHAT !? This is insane, as 155v is the max spec voltage per AMD. Even with a superman water cooler I might not be able to even reach 4.0Ghz.

I knocked it down to 3.718Ghz (for more time to run Prime95 before reaching 62c) but raised the NB to 2.730Mhz and OCed the Ram to 1120Mhz on 8GB (2GB x 4) Dual Channel. I think I am going to reseat the CPU block, there is something not right about heat issue here even with this Water cooling system I have. I am not using the block that came with the Bigwater 760is I am using the Aqua Brazing W1 CPU block. I got my ambient temps down to 65 degrees in my room. Lots of cold air.

Well, off I go to take apart this thing to reseat the CPU block again.

Edited by Buraq

3.6-3.8Ghz is fairly common for a stable overclock for a 955. Reaching 4Ghz on a 955 is pretty tough. It can be done but it is difficult.

On the AMD systems I've overclocked it gets to a certain point rather easy then takes large voltage increases to get just a few more Mhz.

Edited by rourkchris

What kind of fans do you have on your radiator?

Ya might need better fans???

I switched out the fan yesterday with a Silverstone 120mm 2400 RPM fan with 110 CFM. Thats alot of air blowing with the room temp always below 75o.

I reseated my CPU water block and found that the "stock" CPU "back plate" was broken obviously from tightening down too much:

backplate.jpg

So I replaced it with the Backplate that came with the Aqua Brazing W1 CPU water block which is made of steel. I should have replaced it before but I was in too much of a rush and just decided to use the stock back plate.

I reversed all the clocked to stock clocks, voltage, and timings. Now when idle CPU temp is 29c CPU cores 31c. I am doing better than what I was before. The AS5 need some time to break in also.

I know for shure the water flow is being bottle necked with current watter block. I will have the CPU-350AC water block that was 3 times more water flow which should bring me down further in temps.

Anyhow still no go on 3.7-3.8Ghz without the temps gettig to 62c. This things just want to eat volts

I switched out the fan yesterday with a Silverstone 120mm 2400 RPM fan with 110 CFM. Thats alot of air blowing with the room temp always below 75o.

I reseated my CPU water block and found that the "stock" CPU "back plate" was broken obviously from tightening down too much:

backplate.jpg

So I replaced it with the Backplate that came with the Aqua Brazing W1 CPU water block which is made of steel. I should have replaced it before but I was in too much of a rush and just decided to use the stock back plate.

I reversed all the clocked to stock clocks, voltage, and timings. Now when idle CPU temp is 29c CPU cores 31c. I am doing better than what I was before. The AS5 need some time to break in also.

I know for shure the water flow is being bottle necked with current watter block. I will have the CPU-350AC water block that was 3 times more water flow which should bring me down further in temps.

Anyhow still no go on 3.7-3.8Ghz without the temps gettig to 62c. This things just want to eat volts

U think thats bad mine was reaching that in Prime just with 3.511 Ghz on full load and mines a black eddition with the Thermaltake Dual Orb 2 lol.

post-68601-1252067984_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thorax the Impailer

Well my Koolance CPU-350AC CPU water block in on its way :thumbs-up: . This will give me better flow than my current water block. I double sided my Rad with two fans instead of one fan pushing air through the Rad. Now I have push and pull of air through the Rad.

After I get the temps down enough to "stay" @ 3.8Ghz, possible 4Ghz, then comes the Asus ENGTX295 SLI.Will post with new result with the new water block.