Dell Inspiron 1720: Vista Install is Stalling...

Rokkaholik

Dell 1720 Inspiron

4gb memory

Windows Vista 32bit

I've been having a problem with my Dell 1720 Laptop getting too slow upon startup. The little green wind-up bar comes up right away, and then the screen would flicker as it was waiting for the Vista symbol, but then it would take about 2 minutes to get there. When it finally got booted, only about half of the icons by the clock would show up, and then the laptop would stall for a while until the rest finally got started. All this was being done even when I already modified the msconfig to selective startup and turned off unnecessary programs from starting.

So.....

I decided it was time to just reinstall Windows Vista Home Premium. Tried to find the recovery partition, bou I couldn't access it at all, even with disks. Something was goofed up. So... I just decided to do it the old fashioned way. I put in the disk, and went to the Windows install area. I made sure to completely delete the useless extra partitions since I couldn't get the recovery to work anyway, so I ended up with 140gb of unallocated space on one partition.

I clicked to have Windows Vista installed there. It starts installing just fine.

Copying Windows files - Check

Expanding Files - check

Installing features - check

Installing Updates - check

***Laptop Restarts automaticly***

Completing Installation - gets going and the little 3 ...'s continue to move after the Completing Installation text, but the green progress bar at the bottom just stops and doesn't move. The Hard Drive activity light flickers once about every 15 seconds at best. It's been sitting that way for 2 hours now and the green bar has not moved.

What I'm wondering is if possibly the hard drive is failing, or possibly the memory? Processor?

It's got me stumped because it starts out installing just fine. The hard drive activity light flickers like crazy.... It always stalls in the same place after the first reboot. I guess I'll order a drive just in case. If all else fails, and that's not the problem, at least I'll have a small external drive to tote around instead of my WD MyBooks :rolleyes:

Nevermind... Google is my friend. I found the solution

Go to BIOS ---> Onboard Devices

Go to Flash Cache Module - Turn it OFF

Go to SATA Operation - Change AHCI to ATA

Once that was done, I went to reinstall Vista again, I formatted the drive first, and then started with the Vista install and it went through without a hitch.

Well.... That above solution works well if you only have 1 drive in the laptop... No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the backup drive to read or write with the main hard drive. After the 3rd restart, it wouldn't start up at all. I finally took out the secondary hard drive and the laptop booted up fine. I started looking for other answers and found this instead regarding slipping in the ACHI drivers during the Vista install.

download the driver pack R154200 and load to flash drive or CDR and inject on initial install only the aahci.cat (you can only install 1 driver) before you continue the OS install. This

then allowed the dell vista premium disc to run in fully without freezing.

I decided to give it a go, and WHOOPIE!!!!!! Both drives are now comminucating and the laptop is working like a charm.