Verifying DMI Pool stuck

Hi! Just started here at OCC .. Hope THIS is where i find answer to my question!

I just bought a new system - except a few parts ..

But when i put it all together, and tried to boot i got stuck at "Verifying DMI Pool Data ....."

My system is as following:

AMD Phenom Black 9950 X4

Sapphire PURE CrossFireX (AMD 770 chipset)

4 x 1 GB Kingston HyperX (dual channel)

Not really sure about the GFX (borrowed a 2 year old PCI-E from a friend cant afford high-end atm)

I THINK that it might be a PSU-related problem - the MBO got 4 slots

The standard 24-pin ATX

An 8-pin ESP12V

An 4-pin MOLEX (located around the PCI-E ports)

My PSU does NOT have an 8-pin ESP12V so i googled around and saw that some tried to use the 4-pin CPU 12v cable (so i did that)

1: Booting without something in the 8-pin slot -- computer does NOT start

2: Booting with the 4-pin CPU 12v in the 8-pin slot -- computer starts, but hangs at "Verif. DMI Pool"

3: Booting with the 6-pin PCI-E 12v in the 8-pin slot -- computer does NOT start

I just ordered an adaptor cable (from 4-pin to 8-pin) I dont know if that works but I'll let you know :)

Anyway!

COULD it be a PSU-related problem? Not getting power enough?

COULD it be a boot-related problem? Reinstalling OS?

Heeeeelp!

/Jan

Hi! Just started here at OCC .. Hope THIS is where i find answer to my question!

I just bought a new system - except a few parts ..

But when i put it all together, and tried to boot i got stuck at "Verifying DMI Pool Data ....."

My system is as following:

AMD Phenom Black 9950 X4

Sapphire PURE CrossFireX (AMD 770 chipset)

4 x 1 GB Kingston HyperX (dual channel)

Not really sure about the GFX (borrowed a 2 year old PCI-E from a friend cant afford high-end atm)

I THINK that it might be a PSU-related problem - the MBO got 4 slots

The standard 24-pin ATX

An 8-pin ESP12V

An 4-pin MOLEX (located around the PCI-E ports)

My PSU does NOT have an 8-pin ESP12V so i googled around and saw that some tried to use the 4-pin CPU 12v cable (so i did that)

1: Booting without something in the 8-pin slot -- computer does NOT start

2: Booting with the 4-pin CPU 12v in the 8-pin slot -- computer starts, but hangs at "Verif. DMI Pool"

3: Booting with the 6-pin PCI-E 12v in the 8-pin slot -- computer does NOT start

I just ordered an adaptor cable (from 4-pin to 8-pin) I dont know if that works but I'll let you know :)

Anyway!

COULD it be a PSU-related problem? Not getting power enough?

COULD it be a boot-related problem? Reinstalling OS?

Heeeeelp!

/Jan

Care to elaborate as to the wattage of the PSU. Its possible to run with a 4 pin instead of 8 but it is likely not enough juice.

Care to elaborate as to the wattage of the PSU. Its possible to run with a 4 pin instead of 8 but it is likely not enough juice.

460 watt ... MAYBE it's not enough, but I just thought that it was a weird halt message? I mean, if theres not enough pwr, why start? Or halt at that precise point?

I guess I'll get the adaptor cable today - and I'll test with that .. Got a reply from Sapphire (my mbo manufactor) and they said that (quote)

"Sir, Please contact your reseller and test with other power supply with 8 pin plug support. It should be power supply issue. Check this way. Thank you."

So we'll see ... never thought about buying a new psu ..

But if that is the problem - what wattage would you reccomend? My plan is to go for CrossFire (when i can afford the second GFX)

Mbo (24 pin ATX + 8 pin ESP + molex)

2 x Sata HDD

2 x IDE CD/DVD combo

1(2) x Radeon HD 4850 X2 (and that also takes 1 x 8 pin ESP12V and 1 x 6 pin PCI-E 12V)

750? Is that enough? Or do i have to go to 1KW+

460 watt ... MAYBE it's not enough, but I just thought that it was a weird halt message? I mean, if theres not enough pwr, why start? Or halt at that precise point?

I guess I'll get the adaptor cable today - and I'll test with that .. Got a reply from Sapphire (my mbo manufactor) and they said that (quote)

"Sir, Please contact your reseller and test with other power supply with 8 pin plug support. It should be power supply issue. Check this way. Thank you."

So we'll see ... never thought about buying a new psu ..

But if that is the problem - what wattage would you reccomend? My plan is to go for CrossFire (when i can afford the second GFX)

Mbo (24 pin ATX + 8 pin ESP + molex)

2 x Sata HDD

2 x IDE CD/DVD combo

1(2) x Radeon HD 4850 X2 (and that also takes 1 x 8 pin ESP12V and 1 x 6 pin PCI-E 12V)

750? Is that enough? Or do i have to go to 1KW+

750W is more than enough. Just make sure it has ESP12V 8-pin and a 6pin pcie... although you could get away with not needing the pcie and using an adapter for that. I myself have 2 4870s and my 750W only has 2x pci-e and I need 4x so I use one physical plug on each card and one adapter plug on each. Not sure on the 8-pin pcie I do have one of those but you might want to find a PSU that has dual 8-pin pcie plugs at a minimum. You could use an adapter for both of the remaining 6-pins.

Edited by Compxpert

750W is more than enough. Just make sure it has ESP12V 8-pin and a 6pin pcie... although you could get away with not needing the pcie and using an adapter for that. I myself have 2 4870s and my 750W only has 2x pci-e and I need 4x so I use one physical plug on each card and one adapter plug on each. Not sure on the 8-pin pcie I do have one of those but you might want to find a PSU that has dual 8-pin pcie plugs at a minimum. You could use an adapter for both of the remaining 6-pins.

The PSU i found got 3 x 8-pin (1 x 8-pin ESP12v and 2 x 8-pin PCI-E12v) + 4 6-pin PCI-E12v (where you can click 2 pins off) + 2 x 4-pin ATX12v and ofc 24-pin ATX + molex, sata whatever

Sucks balls!

Just received my new PSU today - and that was NOT the problem ... Computer still hangs at Verif. DMI pool

1: disconnected all modules except GFX, CPU and 1 DIMM module

2: tried the same DIMM module in all 4 DIMM-sockets

3: reset CMOS

Still unsuccessful ... Help please!

did you disconnect the drives?

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000474.htm

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/computer/dmi.html

A couple articles with some suggestions...

Yeah, I've tried with no drives attached at all ... Called the shop yesterday, sending it back =/

If they don't get the error I'll kill myself xD

Getting tired of that! The only reason i picked THAT board is

1: Sapphire/AMD chipset

2: I could get it the next day

now it's been 1

I remember when I built my first system, I had the same problem. The only thing was that I built it from scratch. Now I don't know if this is will apply to your system as well, but I found that after maybe 2 hours of researching (to no avail) I realised that I completely forgot to install the OS. In my case its Windows XP.

You never mentioned in your posts whether your hard drive was bought seperately, and if it was I suspect that this is the problem.

Sorry to hear about your troubles but I hope this helps!

-Ace

I remember when I built my first system, I had the same problem. The only thing was that I built it from scratch. Now I don't know if this is will apply to your system as well, but I found that after maybe 2 hours of researching (to no avail) I realised that I completely forgot to install the OS. In my case its Windows XP.

You never mentioned in your posts whether your hard drive was bought seperately, and if it was I suspect that this is the problem.

Sorry to hear about your troubles but I hope this helps!

-Ace

The computer cant boot at all - floppy, cd, usb, whatever .. thats the problem - never reaches boot area