Sign in to follow this  
torqueguru

GTX 295 with 8800GTX - Funny???

Hi buddz,

I have a spare 8800gtx 768 MB card lying with me. I was wondering if using it as a physics processing unit would yeild any better results. What do you guys think? I had long back used a 9600gt as a physics processor for an 8800gtx, and performance had actually dropped instead of rise. Hence this question.

Regards,

Torqueguru.

Only one way to find out :P

Try it! :P

My guess is, performance will drop.

In most cases, people see an increase in performance. I've only tried PhysX with a 260gtx + 8800gts in Mirrors Edge, and I did notice an increase WITH PhysX, but i think ME has some bugs to work out with it as it would slow down to nearly unplayable levels one point in the game, so I had to flip it off to get past it and flip it back on later :)

Edited by airman

Only one way to find out :P

Try it! :P

My guess is, performance will drop.

:withstupid:

even if you do get more performance, i don't think the extra power drain and PSU wear would be worth it in the long run.

:withstupid:

even if you do get more performance, i don't think the extra power drain and PSU wear would be worth it in the long run.

i think it is worth it when playing at 1920*1200 and up :withstupid:

There's opinion A- Doesn't one buy a 295 so that they don't need any extra help??

Opinion B-If you use the 8800 as a physx processor it'd only help out in physx enhanced titles.

Opinion C-That 8800 could go to much better use on it's own in the hands of another (in other words, sell it to someone who needs it. Physx processing is a slap in a face to an old champ like that)