crossfire motherboards

i see some motherboards that cut the pcie bandwidth from x16 to x8 when ran in crossfire and to x4 in trifire.. isnt that sorta besides the point? or is the lower bandwidth not a big loss with multiple gpus even though they cant run at full potential, and is every motherboard that supports multi gpu this way or just older ones?

It varies from chipset to chipset. I have an older(bought over 1 1/2 ago) X38 motherboard and it has 2 full PCI-E @ 16x. On a P45 chipset motherboard with one @16x and one @ 8x you can't tell the difference at all.

AFIK most current cards don't even come close to maxing out the 8X PCI-E slot.

wow good to know just incase i ever did wanna xfire my 4870 so its not so lonley :( in a computer case by itself segregated out hahahha jk but seriously.. i might wanna eventually crossfire my card

wow good to know just incase i ever did wanna xfire my 4870 so its not so lonley :( in a computer case by itself segregated out hahahha jk but seriously.. i might wanna eventually crossfire my card

I ran a pair of 4870's before (I accidently killed one) and it ran pretty nice, it would run anything I threw at them at max settings :)

thats scary.. how did u kill one... >.> :smack:

I liquid cooled them and the top card sprung a leak.... I must have wiggled something loose after leak testing.. after that I switched from clamps to compression fittings.. not a problem since :)