Buying a new laptop

I don't ever remember calling anyone, I think I may have used one of those instant message kinds of Customer Service or if they don't have that, email. I love when companies offer the instant message option, you don't have to decode accents from typing ;)

:withstupid: When (half) my power adapter stopped working, I used the Dell's online CS service. I explained to them what happened, all the test I did, and the guy agreed I needed a replacement, so he sent me a new adapter and I didn't have to send back my other one until after I received it, two days later. And this was thru Dell Home, not Corporate, which is even better service.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a FYI you don't have to have purchased the unit from best buy to have them fix your pc or laptop. They service just about anything electronic now a days weather they sell it or not oddly enough.

Will they do it through the manufactures warranty for free also? I never looked into that since I have their protection plan so I just bring it in and any service I need is free.

Edited by Compxpert

For further argument on dell laptops there is the one my mom just got an Insperon 1545 off dell.com. It cost her a bit over $1,000 with some bells and whistles but here not but a week later I find a toshiba laptop with superior specs for a little over $700. She also having problems with the built in wireless card which for some reason keeps dropping the Access point which is no farther than 10 feet from her.. No other laptop is dropping it either so I am to suspect the card is defective. If you do want a dell I would shy away from ordering off dell.com if any warrenty issues arise as you will have to send you laptop off some where. Me I recently had the hard drive in my laptop start to die so I went over to BestBuy and they guy replaced it right there in front of me and even handed me back the old dieing HardDrive.

Not trying to jack this thread or anything but I just recently had to have Dell send me a new wireless card for my wife's studio xps... it was dropping connection also. They overnighted it to me with a return lable(this thing is still under warrenty) and it has worked fine ever since.

For further argument on dell laptops there is the one my mom just got an Insperon 1545 off dell.com. It cost her a bit over $1,000 with some bells and whistles but here not but a week later I find a toshiba laptop with superior specs for a little over $700. She also having problems with the built in wireless card which for some reason keeps dropping the Access point which is no farther than 10 feet from her.. No other laptop is dropping it either so I am to suspect the card is defective. If you do want a dell I would shy away from ordering off dell.com if any warrenty issues arise as you will have to send you laptop off some where. Me I recently had the hard drive in my laptop start to die so I went over to BestBuy and they guy replaced it right there in front of me and even handed me back the old dieing HardDrive.

Not trying to jack this thread or anything but I just recently had to have Dell send me a new wireless card for my wife's studio xps... it was dropping connection also. They overnighted it to me with a return lable(this thing is still under warrenty) and it has worked fine ever since.

:thumbs-up: Awesome

Interesting... not sure they would do that for me since you actually have to take apart the laptop to get to the wireless card on this one.

And I configured my Dell with the 5100 as well (back when I got it nearly a year ago). As I said, I would never buy either a Dell or HP from a retail outlet, I'd always buy online where it can be configured to your liking.

:withstupid:

I'd have to agree also I always order directly from the manufacturer because you get to customize it yourself and it seems like a better value overall.

The pre-built ones in the store always seem to be slacking for me it seems like they always shove a lot of ram and hard drive space so they can wow the customer who thinks he's getting a good bargain but when you look at the hardware specs they always seem to throw in a low end cpu with a large slow hard drive that runs at 5400 rpm instead of 7200 or ram that runs at a slow speed or a glossy screen that has a low screen resolution and usually a budget graphics card to make the whole setup cheaper.

Will they do it through the manufactures warranty for free also? I never looked into that since I have their protection plan so I just bring it in and any service I need is free.

Yeah, but I think they charge you if it's past the manufacturers warranty which is typically 1 year on most products. Best Buy's Parts you can get just about any part for anything from them as well, and if it's not listed you can call them and they can will find you the part. They told me about this as I was looking for a replacement fan for my HP laptop.

Edited by Bigfwd69

Ebay rocks for finding parts for the popular brand laptops. I got a dvd drive for my friend's really old dell on there. and a power adapter for my other friend's newer dell laptop and all the parts are much more reasonably priced than from HP or Dell directly