250GTS vs 260GTX

http://www.superwarehouse.com/ASUS_P5SD2-V...2-VM/ps/1526127

This is my motherboard, will it support the PCIe 2.0 video card that I linked earlier?

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...&CatId=3669

Thank

no it has pcie x16 1.0 you wont get the full performance but i think you will get a 70-89 % which is good

i say either you get the card then upgrade to this ep45-ud3l

or you can get a whole new system like 785g + phenom ii x2 the on board graphics is really good and when dx 11 cards come out you can get one of them if you want or get a geforce card later

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4850 is a radeon, I'm allergic to that terrible name. I've only had problems with radeons, I'm sticking to geforce. Feel free to try to convince me otherwise, but I'm NEVER getting a radeon, I'm ONLY purchasing geforce, please keeps posts on this thread about geforces.(4850 also doesn't list the shader clock on newegg or tigerdirect)

Thank you for the reply though~

Also, regarding that 4850, it has 800 shader processors while the one I want has 125, that seems like an awful lot more, how important is shader processors and why doesn't the 4850 have a shader clock when you look at tigerdirect/newegg?

please, I need to know if these two are the same card.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16814130469

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...&CatId=3669

the tigerdirect one lists a shader clock, where the newegg one doesn't. if this is the same card, why doesn't newegg list it and should I risk not having shader clock for a cheaper price? I'm probably going to buy this card once I get confirmation....

It's people like you that keeps nvidia charging the ridiculous prices they *often* do :lol:. You can't compare numbers to numbers when two cards aren't the same architecture or from the same generation.

Feel free to pay more and for the same or less performance.

Comparing the number of shaders between two cards with different architectures isn't really apples to apples. The best you can do is look at reviews that compare the card. The GTS 250 is more or less the same as a 9800GT or 8800GT (512MB)...all the G92 chip. I wouldn't go as far as saying the 4850 is better...they're all pretty much even.

I can understand your want for only nvidia cards...mine are all cool, quiet and the drivers just work. Pick a card that has what you want at the best price. I game at 1920x1080 (1080p) and my 8800GTS (512 MB) has been just fine. I wouldn't worry too much about the clocks...just pick a card from a reputable manufacturer and clock it to your hearts content :)

The 4850 isn't really a stronger card but it is a BETTER card because it delivers equal performance for less. All my ati cards run cool (not always quiet :D), and my drivers have always worked fine. That driver excuse is always the first line of fire from die hard nvidians.

I implore you to not get the 250, try going through ebay and finding a cheap 9800gtx+ or something. Don't let them get away with selling last years hardware, for the price of the the present gen's cards.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Do not get any HD 4xxx series, they all have stuttering problems...My HD4870 is such garbage compared to the GTX series. Rather get a 9800GT, no stutter issues. I was told it is due to the drivers, so if you want the easy way out, go with Nvidia, if you have to search every site for every new drivers' performance go with ATI, you may have to revert back to a driver that came out 4 months earlier <_<

Do not get any HD 4xxx series, they all have stuttering problems...My HD4870 is such garbage compared to the GTX series. Rather get a 9800GT, no stutter issues. I was told it is due to the drivers, so if you want the easy way out, go with Nvidia, if you have to search every site for every new drivers' performance go with ATI, you may have to revert back to a driver that came out 4 months earlier <_<

my 4000 series cards stuttered no more than my 260. lower some settings, and see how that works :rolleyes:. My 260 used to stutter too until I lowered what I had to

4850 is a radeon, I'm allergic to that terrible name. I've only had problems with radeons, I'm sticking to geforce. Feel free to try to convince me otherwise, but I'm NEVER getting a radeon, I'm ONLY purchasing geforce, please keeps posts on this thread about geforces.(4850 also doesn't list the shader clock on newegg or tigerdirect)

Thank you for the reply though~

Also, regarding that 4850, it has 800 shader processors while the one I want has 125, that seems like an awful lot more, how important is shader processors and why doesn't the 4850 have a shader clock when you look at tigerdirect/newegg?

That's fine and all...but with the questions you are asking it's clear you don't know enough to hold such a conviction rationally.

Do not get any HD 4xxx series, they all have stuttering problems...

Incorrect.

So this PCIe 2.0 card will still work in my x16 motherboard just not as effectively?

to answer this and further questions related... a gtx 295 doesn't exceed the bandwidth requirements of a pci-e x16 1.0 slot :)

to answer this and further questions related... a gtx 295 doesn't exceed the bandwidth requirements of a pci-e x16 1.0 slot :)

that is the best way to put it .....excellent answer :thumbs-up:

my 4000 series cards stuttered no more than my 260. lower some settings, and see how that works :rolleyes:. My 260 used to stutter too until I lowered what I had to

So that the settings are lower than my old HD2900PRO? Great investment, I get a newer card that is supposodely so great, and I have to play with lower settings than my older one? Cool <_<

So that the settings are lower than my old HD2900PRO? Great investment, I get a newer card that is supposodely so great, and I have to play with lower settings than my older one? Cool <_<

Is it with one particular game or all?? I seriously never had an issue with my old 4870 (512MB like yours). Try THIS GUIDE out and then install the newest drivers and see where that gets ya :thumbs-up:

You could be getting choppiness from your video memory being full too, try lowering just the AA setting some and see how that helps.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

http://www.superwarehouse.com/ASUS_P5SD2-V...2-VM/ps/1526127

Does this motherboard take an AMD Athlon CPU? it says celeron but I don't know anything about AMD, is athlon a subname for celeron? or does this board not take athlon chips?

no this board can not take any amd cpus it is made for lga 775 cpus you can put a core 2 duo e8400 and it will perform very very well

, and no athlon is not another name for celeron .......maybe i said this before in this topic but i am saying it again ,

why do not you get a 785g + phenom ii x2 or a 790gx + phenom ii x3

the built in gpu is very very good .. and wait till dx 11 come out after that you can get a dx 11 card or get a dx 10 card they will much cheaper and i think when that time comes you can buy a high end dx 10 card ........what do you say about this suggestion ..............

Edited by N.E.A