Sign in to follow this  
_TheAlexO

Water Cooling

(Oops i put it in the wrong section)

I know nothing about water cooling, other than the function of it. I need a better way to cool my Phenom II 940.

So i was thinking i might as well go water cooling if its not too expensive. so im looking on newegg for parts, but there are so many different components of a water system i just dont know where to being.

Someone point me in the right direction.

my budget tops out around a couple hundred

all im cooling is the CPU. (with maybe the possibility of video card next upgrade)

Or should i look into something like the Corsair H50 which is an "all in one".

How good would that be compared to other watercooling options?

Edited by ShallowBay

I've just orderd a Corsair H5O. Should have it Monday or Tuesday. I'll compare it with a Phenom II 965 against a Prolimatech Megahalems. I'm going to use the same 2 Scythe 110CFM fans on the H5O and the Prolimatech for accurate comparison. It's a few days to wait but it'll give an accurate comparison and tell you if it's worth it.

Price comparison:

Paid $82 shipped for a Prolimatech Megahalems with an AMD mounting kit and 2nd set of fan clips.

Paid $87 shipped for the Corsair H5O

Using the same fans but at least one would be required for the Prolimatech so they are very similar in price.

I think they're both a little overpriced. Really anxious to see which is better.

H5O looks like it may be a decent product. I hope they come out with a dual radiator version in the future.

Edited by rourkchris

I've just orderd a Corsair H5O. Should have it Monday or Tuesday. I'll compare it with a Phenom II 965 against a Prolimatech Megahalems. I'm going to use the same 2 Scythe 110CFM fans on the H5O and the Prolimatech for accurate comparison. It's a few days to wait but it'll give an accurate comparison and tell you if it's worth it.

alright sounds good, thanks.

Im very interested in the H50, very nice reviews on the Egg

I'll test it at 1.45, 1.475, and 1.5v at 100% load. I can do idle temps too. Any voltage or setting you have in particular that you'd like tested let me know.

If you're going to add a video card to the loop, you're not gonna want the H50. I'm pretty sure you can't add to that loop.

If you're going to add a video card to the loop, you're not gonna want the H50. I'm pretty sure you can't add to that loop.

Obviously.

I'll take the included thermal paste off and use OCZ Freeze as it has no burn-in time to make equal comparisons.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that it is a sealed system and has no room for expansion. At least that is the way it looks.

A review was posted in the hardware roundup in the news a few days ago:

http://techgage.com/article/corsair_h50_se...id_cpu_cooler/2

It looks like it performs roughly as well as a Cooler Master V8, actually a few degrees worse, and the V8 is about $30 ish cheaper. Only difference is the fact that you can say that you have water cooling, and that it will be a little quieter. If you are looking for a water cooling solution that is worth it (over air), you'll need to set aside about $150 or so and piece a kit together yourself.

I'd like to see it compared apples to apples(same fan setup) with a quality air cooler. I've never been impressed with either the V8 or the V10 personally. If it doesn't live up to it's hype, no big loss. I can sell it or put it into an HTPC.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that it is a sealed system and has no room for expansion. At least that is the way it looks.

A review was posted in the hardware roundup in the news a few days ago:

http://techgage.com/article/corsair_h50_se...id_cpu_cooler/2

It looks like it performs roughly as well as a Cooler Master V8, actually a few degrees worse, and the V8 is about $30 ish cheaper. Only difference is the fact that you can say that you have water cooling, and that it will be a little quieter. If you are looking for a water cooling solution that is worth it (over air), you'll need to set aside about $150 or so and piece a kit together yourself.

yes i know its a sealed system. i only need to cool the cpu which is why i am looking at the H50. Ive heard good things about it.

I read somewhere (cant remember where) that it performs a degree or two better than the TRUE..

Basically i just love the way water cooling systems look. Although the H50 isnt as complicated and intricate as a full system, it still gives the case that custom and Clean look that i like.

And the performance gains doesnt hurt either :D

I'd like to see it compared apples to apples(same fan setup) with a quality air cooler. I've never been impressed with either the V8 or the V10 personally. If it doesn't live up to it's hype, no big loss. I can sell it or put it into an HTPC.

Has it came in yet Rourkchris? i know you said monday or tuesday but sometimes people get lucky with shipping.

No newegg sent me the tracking # today and it says 9-1-09 is the expected delivery date. Looks like nothing until Tuesday. Between Newegg's slow processing and UPS' deciding that 3 day shipping is actually 4 days plus the weekend I'd pull my hair out if I actually needed this.

Edited by rourkchris

Received this yesterday only to discover that there is no AMD mounting with it. Socket 775 and 1366. Corsair's website has it for $5 shipping. Didn't forget about this thread just haven't got the AMD mounting yet. Really disappointed that it didn't include this already. Noticed today that newegg has this listed as a deactivated item http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835181009 .