help with OCing Asus Extreme and 4gb Corsair XMS3 please.

Hi,

i have been trying to OC my motherboard for ages now and for some reason cannot over clock it more than 3.2Ghz on Water it just does not boot and TFT goes into sleep mode, I recently bought 4gb corsair ram TW3X4G1600C9DHX as one of the guys on asus forum got it to run on really tight timing which is what i wanted to do, he posted his setting but for some reason mine just does not boot. it display dec ram on the LCD display regardless of if i have 2gb or 4gb. please see below for his settings.

"Ai Overclock Manual

CPU Ratio Setting 9

FSB Frequency 400

FSB Strap to North Bridge Auto

PCIE Frequency 100

DRAM Timing Control Manual

DRAM Frequency DDR3-1600

DRAM Command Rate 1T

CAS# Latency 7

RAS# to CAS# Delay 6

RAS# Precharge 6

RAS# Active Time 15

RAS# to RAS# Delay Auto

Row Refresh Cycle Time Auto

Write Recovery Time Auto

Read to Precharge Time Auto

Read To Write Delay(S/D) Auto

Write to Read Delay(S) Auto

Write to Read Delay(D) Auto

Read To Read Delay(S) Auto

Read To Read Delay(D) Auto

Write To Write Delay(S) Auto

Write To Write Delay(D) Auto

DRAM Static Read Control Disabled

DRAM Dynamic Write Control Disabled

Ai Clock Twister Strong

Ai Clock Skew for Channel A Auto

Ai Clock Skew for Channel B Auto

Ai Transaction Booster Enabled

Boost Level 3

CPU Voltage 1.478 vdrop 1.464

CPU PLL Voltage 1.50

North Bridge Voltage 1.40

DRAM Voltage 1.80

FSB Termination Voltage 1.2

South Bridge Voltage 1.1

Loadline Calibration Enabled

CPU GTL Reference 0.63

North Bridge GTL Reference 0.67

DDR3 Channel A REF Voltage Auto

DDR3 Channel B REF Voltage Auto

DDR3 Controller REF Voltage Auto

SB 1.5 Voltage Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum Disabled

CPU Temp 34

MB Temp 40

NB Temp 46

SB Temp 41

Everest Read 10807

Everest Write 7716

Everest Copy 8567

Latency 46.8

CPU/FSB Overclock 60%

Bios Version 1302

DDR3 Memory Modules used: 2x2GB

Channel 1

Socket A1 Corsair XMS3 DHX CM3X2G1600C9DHX 2048MB

Socket A2 Not Used

Channel 2

Socket B1 Corsair XMS3 DHX CM3X2G1600C9DHX 2048MB

Socket B2 Not Used

Intel Core 2 QUAD Q6600 Kentsfield G0 Stepping VID 1.2000v CPU 2.4GHZ O/C @ 3.8GHZ on Air, Thermalright TRUE Black 120 CPU Cooler with 120mm LED Fan, 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 DHX TW3X4G1600C9DHX 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz 7-6-6-15 1T @ 1.8v, ASUS ROG Maximus Extreme Bios 1302, PCB Rev 2.01G, Tagan 2-Force II 800Watts PSU 6Rails +12volts, BFG GeForce 9800GTX OCX 512MB 755core/2300mem/1890shader, 2 x Western Digital 74GB Raptors ADFDs 16MB RAID 0, 1x Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 32MB SATAII, Windows 7 Ultimate RTM 64bit build 7600.16385.win7_rtm.090713-1255

Hope that these settings will solve all your memory issues!

I used these settings 24/7 rock stable no bsod`s in vista ultimate x64 and windows 7 ultimate x64!!"

now i want to run the ram on some tight timing but cannot get it running at 7-6-6-15 1T @ 1.8v, at the moment im running at 1600mhz but with standard timings of 9-9-9-24 2T.

any help would be really appreciative, please see below for my spec.

Edited by a5ian300zx

Ai Clock Twister Strong

Also change this to normal!

CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TW3X4G1600C9DHX - Retail

* Cas Latency: 9

* Timing: 9-9-9-24

If this is your memory, I would say you have your timings set to tight!

Edited by Inteller

Change your command rate to 2T. The difference is next to nothing and it makes it MUCH easier to run high memory speeds.

i have already tried that but still the same issue,

Also change this to normal!

I will try this and see if it make a difference.

If this is your memory, I would say you have your timings set to tight!

my memory is running at 9-9-9-24 2T - but i want to get it tighter so its quicker :)

thanks

Well, you can either overclock, and run the normal timings, or run the CPU at stock speed, and try to tighten the memory timings. Not both. Sorry!

In actuality, you will not even notice any performance gains by tightening your timings. Only in benchmarking, and even then, not much of a gain.

Well, you can either overclock, and run the normal timings, or run the CPU at stock speed, and try to tighten the memory timings. Not both. Sorry!

In actuality, you will not even notice any performance gains by tightening your timings. Only in benchmarking, and even then, not much of a gain.

then i don't understand how that guy is running the same CPu/memory/motherboard as me at 3.8ghz on air with 4gb xms3 at 1600Mhz 7-6-6-15 1T @ 1.8v. when i can't get pass 3.2ghz on water (highend) at 1600mhz.

I ideally i would like to increase my cpu and FSB speed and with the tight timing it would have been really quick.

there also a guy who left a review for this ram on ocuk shop say he was running the following:

Reviewed by: extremeGamer

I am using this super UBER FAST ddr3 on my maximus extreme at 7-6-6-10 1T timings @ 1.8volts! with these ULTRA TIGHT timings I even outperformed the same ddr3 1600mhz expensive dhx kit which is rated at 7-7-7-20 for the price of

Edited by a5ian300zx

then i don't understand how that guy is running the same CPu/memory/motherboard as me at 3.8ghz on air with 4gb xms3 at 1600Mhz 7-6-6-15 1T @ 1.8v. when i can't get pass 3.2ghx on water at 1600mhz.

I ideally i would like to increase my cpu and FSB speed and with the tight timing it would have been really quick.

there also a guy who left a review for this ram on ocuk shop say he was running the following:

Reviewed by: extremeGamer

I am using this super UBER FAST ddr3 on my maximus extreme at 7-6-6-10 1T timings @ 1.8volts! with these ULTRA TIGHT timings I even outperformed the same ddr3 1600mhz expensive dhx kit which is rated at 7-7-7-20 for the price of

Thats it!

What Waco said.

This is true for most hardware! CPU's, Video cards, Memory......

this is the bit that confuses me why would that be? I have the same models etc why is his better, im i missing something? should i buy a different motherboard to achieve the result or willi come across the same issue?

thanks for your prompt feedback guys loving this forum already :)

I'm really not quite sure how to explain this better than it's already been said?

2 computer with exactly the same hardware, can & will (most likely) perform differently!

Even though, you buy 1 set of memory thats XXXX+1234,

Then you go back to the same exact place and buy another set of memory thats XXXX+1234

chances are that one set will out perform the other.

Still to this day, mistakes are made. This is what bining is for, and even with testing, and bining, even though some chips are close, they may get binned together, but are still slightly different!

You will find this in all aspects of computer parts!

I built 2 systems, Identical to the one I am currently using. With the exception of the cpu, the other 2 were Q9650's

One of the system's took more vcore voltage to achieve a stable 3.8GHz overclock, but at the same time, that cpu (in benchmarking), achieved higher scores.

The other exact same system took less vcore voltage, to achieve a stable 3.8GHz overclock, but scored lower on the exact same benchmarks.

There are slight differences in everything.

Hope this helps a bit!

I'm really not quite sure how to explain this better than it's already been said?

2 computer with exactly the same hardware, can & will (most likely) perform differently!

Even though, you buy 1 set of memory thats XXXX+1234,

Then you go back to the same exact place and buy another set of memory thats XXXX+1234

chances are that one set will out perform the other.

Still to this day, mistakes are made. This is what bining is for, and even with testing, and bining, even though some chips are close, they may get binned together, but are still slightly different!

You will find this in all aspects of computer parts!

I built 2 systems, Identical to the one I am currently using. With the exception of the cpu, the other 2 were Q9650's

One of the system's took more vcore voltage to achieve a stable 3.8GHz overclock, but at the same time, that cpu (in benchmarking), achieved higher scores.

The other exact same system took less vcore voltage, to achieve a stable 3.8GHz overclock, but scored lower on the exact same benchmarks.

There are slight differences in everything.

Hope this helps a bit!

thanks for the explanation - i guess its trail and error then :)

You can't just plug someone else's settings in and expect your system, even if identical, to work. It would be so easy if you could just punch in the settings to go faster but it's not. There's too many variables from chip to chip and there's more of an "art" to it than the way you've gone about things. When things go wrong what are you going to do? Will you understand the settings you've changed? Overclocking blindly will leave you in the dark with a PC that doesn't work.