kage

cant boot after motherboard change

ok so, i had an asus motherboard (forget the model :S i think it was a M2A-VM) it crashed on me i brought it into where i bought it because its only a couple months old they said they would have to rma it, after a few weeks i go back and they dont know how long it is going to be i tell them i need something up now so they give me an m3a78-emh, i don't really know in depth details on either boards (not my computer) but i made sure they were aware that i have a pre-existing raid i need to function. they said it would work fine thats why they gave me the m3a78 instead of something else. so i get home set it all up seems to be working fine finds my raid, boots my raid (to windows, in safe mode) but immediate after loading mup.sys its BSOD and restart, no time to read the bsod so i dont know what the issue is. it is definatly raid related because if i turn raid off on the motherboard it will boot off of one of the hard drives (non-raid) just fine (by the way its a simple mirroring raid)

im assuming it is having driver issues or something? is there any way to deal with this problem without simply wipeing the computer? i am really hesitant to do that because the information on the computer is very sensitive. both in its content (meaning it cant be left around on external hard drives/other computers) and in the fact that no data can be lost (thus the purpose of the raid)

any suggestions?

thanks

kyle

ok so, i had an asus motherboard (forget the model :S i think it was a M2A-VM) it crashed on me i brought it into where i bought it because its only a couple months old they said they would have to rma it, after a few weeks i go back and they dont know how long it is going to be i tell them i need something up now so they give me an m3a78-emh, i don't really know in depth details on either boards (not my computer) but i made sure they were aware that i have a pre-existing raid i need to function. they said it would work fine thats why they gave me the m3a78 instead of something else. so i get home set it all up seems to be working fine finds my raid, boots my raid (to windows, in safe mode) but immediate after loading mup.sys its BSOD and restart, no time to read the bsod so i dont know what the issue is. it is definatly raid related because if i turn raid off on the motherboard it will boot off of one of the hard drives (non-raid) just fine (by the way its a simple mirroring raid)

im assuming it is having driver issues or something? is there any way to deal with this problem without simply wipeing the computer? i am really hesitant to do that because the information on the computer is very sensitive. both in its content (meaning it cant be left around on external hard drives/other computers) and in the fact that no data can be lost (thus the purpose of the raid)

any suggestions?

thanks

kyle

here's a thought based on my past experiences with swapping motherboards

boot up from your windows dvd/cd and try the repair option

once it does it's repair it should find the new mobo devices and install drivers that will work until you can manually install the new mobo manufacturer driver disk that came with the mobo...

this is what has worked for me ....give it a try and see...

cya

cj

here's a thought based on my past experiences with swapping motherboards

boot up from your windows dvd/cd and try the repair option

once it does it's repair it should find the new mobo devices and install drivers that will work until you can manually install the new mobo manufacturer driver disk that came with the mobo...

this is what has worked for me ....give it a try and see...

cya

cj

i have never in all of my time been able to repair an install, i dont think i have ever seen the option to do so ...i mean its supposed to give the option "press R ...etc" i have never seen that, every time i install windows (even with existing installs on the drive) it boots from cd, immediatly asks if i want to install raid drivers (like that is the first screen) then asks if i want to do automated recovery (F2) which i dont... then it goes through the 5 min processes of loading up drivers and stuff... then it goes directly to chose partition screen. and asks me if i want to delete it, format it... etc

i really have never seen the repair install screen... is it my version of XP?

i have never in all of my time been able to repair an install, i dont think i have ever seen the option to do so ...i mean its supposed to give the option "press R ...etc" i have never seen that, every time i install windows (even with existing installs on the drive) it boots from cd, immediatly asks if i want to install raid drivers (like that is the first screen) then asks if i want to do automated recovery (F2) which i dont... then it goes through the 5 min processes of loading up drivers and stuff... then it goes directly to chose partition screen. and asks me if i want to delete it, format it... etc

i really have never seen the repair install screen... is it my version of XP?

Yes, some XP installations have a repair option. It comes after the repair with the recovery option. After you choose not to use the recovery console, It shows the drive and partition list, where you pick where to install XP. It then will have the option to repair the XP already installed or do a clean install or you can delet the partition and what not (how ever you spell/say it). I think the latest version of XP setup that i have seen with the repair option is SP2. You may can download another xp setup disk iso or something. I am in the repair business so i have many setup disc, as clients always seem to loose their original. I have to Try to match the OS setup with the product key sticker so that they can continue their Windows genuine experience.

So there are many different XP setup programs with slightly different options that will work with your product key. I have had to use another copy when for some reason one setup disc didnt like the product key and another would approve it. Most of the time if you match the SP# then it works right off the bat. Calling M$ isnt really a fun task when you product key doesnt want to even with the matched up XP version.

edit:

Here is a link as to help you find the correct xp setup program to use, if you go this route

http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Edited by ocre