Graphics Card Selection Help

Fantasist

RESOLVED!

I got the following card and am currently very happy with it :)

http://www.sparkle.com.tw/product_detail.a...&sub_id=323

Thanks for all the help everyone :)

PS: How do I edit the title?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone :)

I've been lurking here occasionally and I often almost registered, but refrained for some reason. Well, this time I'm in need of help and this is the first place on the web I could think of.

I recently upgraded my computer. I got a new CPU assembled with the following specs:

Motherboard: Intel DG41RQ

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 (2.66GHz)

RAM: Transcend 4GB (2+2, DDR2, 800MHz)

HDD: Seagate 500GB

PSU: Zebronics Economy Series (400W)

Tower: Zebronics Calyx

I want to get a graphics card, but I'm a bit tight on the budget. I'm considering 3 GeForce cards. I'll list them in the preferred order: 9600, 8800, 9800.

The problem is, I am from Hyderabad, India, and I haven't found a reliable place online to find the prices. As far as I know, 9600GT costs Rs.5300.

First off, I need some website where I can find out the prices of the cards in Hyderabad (India). In 9800 and 8800 are out of bounds, I'll go for 9600GT.

Now considering the above options, there is one problem, it's my PSU. I (very regrettably) didn't pay attention to the PSU I was given with my tower. Here are the specs as far as I can discern:

+3.3V - 25A

+5V - 38A

+12V - 15A

-5V - 0.3A

-12V - 0.8A

+5VSB - 2A

I read somewhere that a 9600GT needs a 6-pin PCIe connector with 28A on the +12V line. Is that right? I doubt I even have a 6-pin PCIe connector, whatever that is. I have the ones with 4 pins which I connected to my optical drive (are those called molex pins?). That's about it. I'm very concerned about the PSU. It would be a disaster if it doesn't support any on those 3 graphics cards.

I appreciate any advice :)

Edited by Fantasist

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone :)

I've been lurking here occasionally and I often almost registered, but refrained for some reason. Well, this time I'm in need of help and this is the first place on the web I could think of.

I recently upgraded my computer. I got a new CPU assembled with the following specs:

Motherboard: Intel DG41RQ

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 (2.66GHz)

RAM: Transcend 4GB (2+2, DDR2, 800MHz)

HDD: Seagate 500GB

PSU: Zebronics Economy Series (400W)

Tower: Zebronics Calyx

I want to get a graphics card, but I'm a bit tight on the budget. I'm considering 3 GeForce cards. I'll list them in the preferred order: 9600, 8800, 9800.

The problem is, I am from Hyderabad, India, and I haven't found a reliable place online to find the prices. As far as I know, 9600GT costs Rs.5300.

First off, I need some website where I can find out the prices of the cards in Hyderabad (India). In 9800 and 8800 are out of bounds, I'll go for 9600GT.

Now considering the above options, there is one problem, it's my PSU. I (very regrettably) didn't pay attention to the PSU I was given with my tower. Here are the specs as far as I can discern:

+3.3V - 25A

+5V - 38A

+12V - 15A

-5V - 0.3A

-12V - 0.8A

+5VSB - 2A

I read somewhere that a 9600GT needs a 6-pin PCIe connector with 28A on the +12V line. Is that right? I doubt I even have a 6-pin PCIe connector, whatever that is. I have the ones with 4 pins which I connected to my optical drive (are those called molex pins?). That's about it. I'm very concerned about the PSU. It would be a disaster if it doesn't support any on those 3 graphics cards.

I appreciate any advice :)

how about 4770 it is very very good , and the 4850 is better than 9800gt and at a low cost too , but i recommend 4770 it is almost as fast as 9800gt just a little bit slower , and if you want to get this online there is newegg , amazon, buy.com .....but wait for other opinions about the online store .... :)

how about 4770 it is very very good , and the 4850 is better than 9800gt and at a low cost too , but i recommend 4770 it is almost as fast as 9800gt just a little bit slower , and if you want to get this online there is newegg , amazon, buy.com .....but wait for other opinions about the online store .... :)

Uhm, he lives in india, i dont think amazon and buy.com deliver there...

But yeah a HD 4850 would also be a good choice and by the specs the 400W PSU should be fine.

Edited by PingoPongo

@PingoPongo: Thanks :) So I'm taking 400W should be sufficient, great! I'm also prepared in case there are any problems. I wil switch to a better PSU.

@N.E.A: Thanks for the suggestion :) But I'm partial towards nVidia, so I'll stick with it.

Anyway, just about 5 minutes from reading PingoPongo's first reply, I went to the market. I asked around in a few shops and I got the general idea of the prices. One disappointing thing was that the 8800 are no longer available. I asked for 9600GT and 9800GT, 512MB and 1GB. Based on different marketers (Palit, Sparkle, Galaxy, Zotac, MSI, XFX), the prices vary, but here is the gist of it:

9600GT (512MB): Rs.4600 - Rs.4850

(1GB) : Rs.5400 - Rs.5900

9800GT (512MB): Rs.5600 - Rs.6700

(1GB) : Rs.6500 - Rs.6900

XFX cards seem to be the costliest and Palit cards seem to be the cheapest. I mean, a 9800GT for 5600!? Anyway, as I mentioned, these are the brands I came across:

Palit, Sparkle, Galaxy, Zotac, MSI, XFX

Should I be avoiding any of them?

Also, there is a new question for me: the card memory. Is going for 1GB worth it, or will 512MB do fine?

PS: Before I forget, one of the first things I'll try is the PS2 Emulator PCSX2. I'm a DBZ fanatic and my brother has the DBZ Budokai game with him. I don't have a PS2, and I'm dying to play it full-scale on my PC. I don't need the highest of configurations, I just want to run it in fullscreen without lag, as long as it's playable.

And here follows some (off-topic?) nonsense...

I ran it with my on-board graphics module and it played very jerky and ugly looking, but about 40-60 FPS. I has SpeedFan running and it's putting my Quad Core to tests. The core temperatures were around 28C-48C, but Core0's maximum was 53C.

These cards have warranty there right?

I say get the best u can afford. Also what resolution do u run the games at? Cause the 1GB will benefit in high resoutions.

Edited by PingoPongo

Since I've never had a good card before, I always play at 640x480 to get the smoothest gameplay possible (please don't laugh ._.). I doubt I'll go above 1024x768. I might get a large LCD monitor in about a year, so... Right now, I have a 17 inch CRT.

Speaking of the memory's use, I heard AA benefits from larger memory? Because I can sacrifice resolution but I always apply AA when I can without compromising on gameplay.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot, all of them offer warranty...

Edited by Fantasist

Since I've never had a good card before, I always play at 640x480 to get the smoothest gameplay possible (please don't laugh ._.). I doubt I'll go above 1024x768. I might get a large LCD monitor in about a year, so... Right now, I have a 17 inch CRT.

Speaking of the memory's use, I heard AA benefits from larger memory? Because I can sacrifice resolution but I always apply AA when I can without compromising on gameplay.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot, all of them offer warranty...

:blink: 1G is too much for 1024*768 , 1G is needed at 1650*900 or higher ..... :blink: you are wasting money .....

:blink: 1G is too much for 1024*768 , 1G is needed at 1650*900 or higher ..... :blink: you are wasting money .....

What resolution is 1650x900, a laptop's? 1680x1050 or 1600x1200 is more common. Anyway yea if ur below that then i see no point of 1GB. Idk about the AA theory.