Which is bottlenecking most? CPU, RAM, or MOBO?

Hi. I have recently bought an MSI 4850 1gb video card. I realized my system is really bottlenecking that nice card. Can someone tell what to upgrade first? Here are my specs:

Video Card: MSI 4850 1GB-OC

CPU: e2140 (can't OC because of the mobo)

Motherboard: Asus IPILP-LC SPECS: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...421&lang=en

1GB DDR2 667 RAM

Now Obviously, my system (except video card) is a really low end one. I am planning on upgrading as soon as i get the $$. I want to max out games like call of duty 4 at 1440x900 with 4xAA. I can't overclock because my BIOS is locked and my motherboard goes 533/800 so I can't use the BSEL pin mod :( So what is bottlenecking me the most right now? Please give me suggestions of what to upgrade to. Please keep in mind that I'm upgrading bits and bits because I running low on money, so please don't suggest anything too crazy or expensive :P

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

i think the cpu and maybe the board , but the ram as long as you can put another one it is ok , when you get the cash if you do not want to buy a whole new system and spend a ton of money on it i think you can get e8400 if it can run on the motherboard it will be very very good and get more ram ....:)

i think the cpu and maybe the board , but the ram as long as you can put another one it is ok , when you get the cash if you do not want to buy a whole new system and spend a ton of money on it i think you can get e8400 if it can run on the motherboard it will be very very good and get more ram ....:)

I am definitely going to buy some ram soon since its cheap, but how about instead of buying a new processor, i can just buy a new board and overclock my e2140 to 3.x ?

I'm currently thinking most of doing this, please tell me what you think and which mobo would you recommend. I afraid my cool master extreme 500w won't be enough to power e8400 with a 4850.

I am definitely going to buy some ram soon since its cheap, but how about instead of buying a new processor, i can just buy a new board and overclock my e2140 to 3.x ?

I'm currently thinking most of doing this, please tell me what you think and which mobo would you recommend. I afraid my cool master extreme 500w won't be enough to power e8400 with a 4850.

The 500W will be more than enough for that system.

Your motherboard doesn't support an E8400. It supports up to an E4400. Your max RAM is 2GB. I'd say a motherboard upgrade should be the first upgrade.

I think my mobo does support up to 4GBs of ram since 2GB sticks did not exist when the article was written. Neither did the e8xxx series. What kind of ram would u guys recommend, 2x1GB vs 2x2GB? 667 vs 800 vs future mobo?

You can always contact HP/Compaq and make sure. I wouldn't go buying RAM or a CPU when the official documentation says it doesn't support it. I think ultimately you'll come back to the decision to buy a new motherboard. A more modern chipset will give you so many more options and features.

Edited by rourkchris