Video Card Problems?

TheConqueror

Using a OCZ StealthXStream 700W (in sig).

I cant run any tests, the damn thing won't turn on. I did do prime though, on blend, before this thing broke.

Maybe I'm going blind...but, I'm not seeing it :lol:

Yeah, so, I run all the tests immediately after I build (some even before I finish installing everything).

I'd try using the bare minimums...one DIMM, single graphics card...no hard drive, etc. Clear CMOS, see if that gets you anywhere.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did this happen to me.

It happened because you arbitrarily changed a setting without knowing what it meant.

Clear the CMOS. RTFM to find out how to do it.

Yay i found the jumper.

Testing now..

Jumper didn't work either :(

Did you unplug the power and pull the cmos battery and let it set for about a half hour? I have seen a couple comments about that board having difficulties recovering from a failed oc.

Also, over volting the ram too much could cause damage to both the ram and possibly the cpu (as I believe the memory controller part of the cpu)..

I am sure the CPU is fine, and so is the RAM. The motherboard is at fault here. Even when I boot without RAM, it still gets stuck at D2 (Which is before RAM is initialized). If the CPU was broken, it would be stuck at FF, which it goes past.

st

Will try removing the battery method now.

Also I really doubt that 1.8V could kill the RAM or CPU after JUST applying the settings and restarting. It didn't even go to the vista screen, it just truned off and never came back on.

*Edit*

OK, still no signs of life. I have been trying to RMA but there crappy tech support hasn't responded in 3 days. I will never be buying MSI products again.

Edited by TheConqueror

I have seen many times cases where a computer would shut down after the gpu kicked in graphic intense (such as a game) situations. Believe it or not, it was the PSU failing under strain. This may not have at all been in your case. But when you stress the GPU, you are actually pushing mega watts compared to other task. This really sounded similar to the initial issue. It doesnt matter if you have a 1000watt PSU thats 4 days old. These components fail. Sometime much sooner then you would ever expect. It would be hard to say that is why its not booting now. But if it was the PSU, they have been known to take out other components along with its failure. It doesnt have to be the psu although. In graphic intense situations usually the whole system is stressed too. memory, cpu, NB. You have a pickle to work through. You have to pull everything out like the others have said, then try to find ways to test your components individually, like in other rigs or however you can. Its the best advice i can give you, and it will lead you to the issues

Did you use MSI's Liveupdate and update the BIOS? I'm not sure how that program ever passed any kind of quality control testing, but it will mess up your board faster than a virus.

Can you make a bootable USB and flash the MSI BIOS to the latest version?

Also, right from your manual (2-6 - bottom of the page)!!!

"To enable successful system boot-up, always insert memory modules into the DIMM1 first."

Using DIMM3 & DIMM4 could be the problem.

Install the stock cpu heatsink and put the DDR3 in the proper channels and see if that fixes the problem.

Edited by pkilway

If the physical heat sink is blocking it I have no advice, but if your fan is blocking the ram from being in the 1st and 2nd spot then put the fan on top of them or on the other side of the cooler (pulling), it might not cool as well but it'd be better then putting the ram in the wrong spot.

I realize I commented on a tangent and that your current problem isn't this, I just thought this might help once your other issues are fixed.