Crossfire!

actionstan

so basically im eventually going to be upgrading my mobo from a xfx8200 to a asus or gigabyte i think, maybe a foxconn and i currently run a single xfx 4870 and right now i run a 17 inch monitor at 1024x768 which im guessing theres no reason for me to wanna get a board to support crossfire with a small monitor, in the future i may upgrade to a 20 inch, but i would still see no reason to get a crossfire compatible board, but if u guys have different input even at my low resolution settings id be running... would it be worth it to get a crossfire compatible board, or just stick with a single solution board, because that would save me anywhere between 20-40 dollars even more in some cases it seems like

if you are getting a 20 inch display then yes get a board that support crossfire and they are not that expensive like nforce boards i think it can get at max 250 usd , and get 790x,790fx,790gx do not get 785 or780 some one told me when he ran crossfire on the 780 then 790x he noticed a higher fps just a little and he was playing at 1920*1080 and used the same ram the same cpu and all of them were running at the stock clocks

Usually crossfire is recommended when your gaming/using a resolution that is at or north of 1920x1080. I know even at that resolution cards such as 4890/GTX 275's and above still do an amazing job pumping out the fps. I was debating the same thing with my current build, seeing as I just went to dual 23" monitors and now game at 1920x1080 res. I decided picking up the CrossfireX capable board for when the 4890 takes another price cut, so I can pop in another one of them. But for now the 4890 works more then fine for 1920x1080, but Crossfire/SLI does start making its performance known right at that resolution and higher.

For a 20" which would probably only have a max res of 1600x1200 (or whatever it is) I think a lot of single card solutions would give you more then enough GPU power. And with new cards rolling out around the launch of Win 7 you really wont have to worry about getting a card that will blow that res away for a decent price. Not that the 4870 performs bad around that resolution in the first place :)

Usually comes down to whether or not you'd actually ever see yourself buying 2 cards, like N.E.A said, the AMD 790x/fx/gx boards are quite cheap. Personally I got the 790XT-UD4P to compliment my new 945, and it only set me back $140 CDN. Who knows maybe with the prices of 23"+ monitors these days you'll see yourself going higher then 20". :)

Edited by CanadaGUY

Yeah i wouldnt bother running crossfire unless u plan to game at 1080p and above.My 4850 1gb plays almost everything i throw at it on max,so your 4870 would no doubt be even better.

Off topic

will i get any benefit from crossFiring 2x4870 512MB? on 1920x1020 ress, i know it wont give me much of a boost on crysis, but what about other games, been thinking about selling my 4870 512mb and getting X2 but, i dont think i gonna do it, DX11 cards are month away...

Off topic

will i get any benefit from crossFiring 2x4870 512MB? on 1920x1020 ress, i know it wont give me much of a boost on crysis, but what about other games, been thinking about selling my 4870 512mb and getting X2 but, i dont think i gonna do it, DX11 cards are month away...

i think it will give you a boost , but i say wait for the dx 11

next time start a new topic , :)

Personally,im selling my 4850 and buying a GTX 260 cos im getting a bit tired of catalyst drivers now.Some things work,some dont,quirks here,quirks there etc etc.Im off to nvidia.

Usually comes down to whether or not you'd actually ever see yourself buying 2 cards, like N.E.A said, the AMD 790x/fx/gx boards are quite cheap. Personally I got the 790XT-UD4P to compliment my new 945, and it only set me back $140 CDN. Who knows maybe with the prices of 23"+ monitors these days you'll see yourself going higher then 20". :)

idk im pretty cheap right now i work full time at a radioshack so saving up money for computer parts is pretty hard hahah i saw a 20 inch acer at bset buy for cheap i think it was 100 dollars and thats the one i believe i want

Personally,im selling my 4850 and buying a GTX 260 cos im getting a bit tired of catalyst drivers now.Some things work,some dont,quirks here,quirks there etc etc.Im off to nvidia.

ive heard catalyst giving some people problems but i mainly run vista 64 and its been peachy so far not 1 problem except for getting a error while installing c++ 2005 and i just installed the drivers agian

Then I'd suggest just sticking with 1 card, on a 20" you probably won't ever really need to get CF/SLI. And I'm sure the new DX11 cards will bring even more price wars so getting a good one for that 20" won't be too hard. That is if you can wait that long :)