Best Air Cooler?

MJCRO

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why can't that "right fan setup" be applied to the core contact?? :P

If you look at the shape of the heatsink you'll see that it's not set up for 2 fans. The shape alone prevents a "pull" fan from being mounted on the back side.

It's a great cooler just not the top of the performance foodchain. Price vs. performance it may be at the top of the heap though when you consider rebates, combo deals, shipping costs, etc. The Sunbeam is ready right out of the box. The TRUE needs to be lapped and fans bought seperately.

My opinion on the best cooler without money as a consideration is the Prolimatech Megahalems with 2 fans. But we are talking a degree or two difference between it and the TRUE. Though I didn't lap any of my Prolimatech coolers(have 4) that is an option that may further enhance the gap between the two.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?opti...mp;limitstart=7

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

Edited by rourkchris

If you look at the shape of the heatsink you'll see that it's not set up for 2 fans. The shape alone prevents a "pull" fan from being mounted on the back side.

It's a great cooler just not the top of the performance foodchain. Price vs. performance it may be at the top of the heap though when you consider rebates, combo deals, shipping costs, etc. The Sunbeam is ready right out of the box. The TRUE needs to be lapped and fans bought seperately.

oh yeah I see what you mean, it kinda ends with on a point (and actually the new i7 TRUE's come with the one fan lol)

oh yeah I see what you mean, it kinda ends with on a point (and actually the new i7 TRUE's come with the one fan lol)

That's one more fan than my TRUE black came with when I bought it. It's a performance heatsink so I expect to choose my own fans whether it comes with one or not.

Same here, I ordered 2 Delta 133CFM fans for my True Black, it originally came with no fans, but during ordering gave me a choice of 2 different fans, I declined either one, then got the Delta's

My opinion on the best cooler without money as a consideration is the Prolimatech Megahalems with 2 fans. But we are talking a degree or two difference between it and the TRUE. Though I didn't lap any of my Prolimatech coolers(have 4) that is an option that may further enhance the gap between the two.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?opti...mp;limitstart=7

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

OHHHH, wow now I'm sold, I'm getting the Megalem, I've heard of this cooler before a few times, never really noticed it, because most people don't buy it, But I've been sold buy the benchmarks.

I'll get that, and just throw 2 CM 120 Red LED fans on it for ICE cooling. :thumbs-up:

It's a bit, expensive, but I'm not gonna be cheap when it comes to OCing into the 4 Ghz+ range on the Q9xxx series chips.

Make sure you buy a 2nd pair of fanclips it only comes with one set.

Jab-tech has it the cheapest I've seen http://www.jab-tech.com/Prolimatech-Megaha...66-pr-4428.html and

http://www.jab-tech.com/Prolimatech-Megaha...mm-pr-4432.html

Look at other reviews and make sure it's what you want. There are many great coolers out there.

Edited by rourkchris

That's one more fan than my TRUE black came with when I bought it. It's a performance heatsink so I expect to choose my own fans whether it comes with one or not.

Yeah, I do actually prefer a cooler with out the fans (if it can take two) because I'd wanna get my Ultra Kazes on there :D. I probably wouldn't get a cooler that couldn't run the push/pull configuration. That's a real bummer that the core contact can't do that, I think I may have lost interest in that entirely lol. (though I'd still recommend it for budget builders, since it still performs very will, I just never would buy one myself)

I used to run a lapped TRUE with 2 fans for almost two years,it was the best cooler around,the only problem is that thermalright cant make a flat base so you need to lap it...

ProlimaTech Megalems is also good,currently i switched to a new german cooler: EKL Brocken and its 3 celsius cooler than my old TRUE ,its direct contact heatpipe, no need to lap,takes push pull fan configuration a really nice HS for a quad would be my vote if you can get it.Like i see you are from USA so your best shot would be the TRUE ;)

It may only be by a small margin, but TRUE 120 with two high cfm+high static pressure fans in push/pull is still as good as it gets. You did say "Best", and not "Best for the price"...

I had very nice results using dual Delta SHE tri-blades, which when I bought them they were one of the strongest fans you can mount on a fan controller without passing the amp limit(they draw .8amps each, most controller have a 1a limit). 142cfm each with over 13mm of static pressure - which is very important for using with dense fin heatsinks or rads.

They were close to 20 bucks each when I got them though, plus the $60 TRUE and some AS5 put me over 100 bucks for air cooling...but you gotta pay to play! I think Delta has new standard fas now that have even more cfm and static pressure and have the same or less power requirements.