Not as easy a clocker as I'd imagine

IVIYTH0S

Sounds like you got a bum chip. It happens. :shrug:

I guess I deserve it after getting such a good Q9450. I won't know if all is lost until I get done work and sit down with it again

strange, mines at 3.4ghz 1.38 stock volts

Yeah I know alot of people who get up to like 3.5ghz with stock volts, I think Waco may be right. only time will tell.

(just remote desktop'd and it looks like it restarted again so I guess 3.5ghz isn't stable either.)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

It's ultimitely no big deal. It's not going to be overclocked for 24/7 use anyway.

Yeah I'm not sweating it, though I still wanted to overclock it well since I never clocked an AMD before. (I see your 940 is doing WELL)

Darn you AJmatson for this dud of a chip :P

My lone remaining 940 is doing rather well. Did a suicide screenshot yesterday. Up to 3.907. Once I get a Asus Crosshair III and the RAM I want I'll sell this whole setup-CPU, RAM, motherboard , and a CPU cooler(check and see what I have). I'm keeping the cooler that's on it now. Interested? It'll be a couple of weeks. I'll make you a deal that'll beat anything you can find.

Edited by rourkchris

My lone remaining 940 is doing rather well. Did a suicide screenshot yesterday. Up to 3.907. Once I get a Asus Crosshair III and the RAM I want I'll sell this whole setup-CPU, RAM, motherboard , and a CPU cooler(check and see what I have). I'm keeping the cooler that's on it now. Interested? It'll be a couple of weeks. I'll make you a deal that'll beat anything you can find.

unfortunately no, since it'd only be for my dad and in reality he wouldn't have a need for 3.9ghz :lol: but I appreciate the offer.

AH-HA!!! I've found the thorn in my overclocking foot.

So I was fed up with not getting any further with the overclocking that I was going to change my target to stock clocks with lowering voltage. Except when I set it back to stock speeds, (before undervolting) the computer BSOD'd me to a restart. I immediately threw the memory sticks in memtest and they threw up errors, I took one out and it still got errors, then put the other one back in and took the first one out and it passed fine. So I had a bad memory stick all along :lol:, now to go beat up Pkilway to see if I still have any warranty on these puppies.