Not as easy a clocker as I'd imagine

IVIYTH0S

I though AMD's were easier to overclock?? I have a 940 Black Edition and I can't even get 3.6ghz stable (under load), I try raising the CPU-NB and HTT to what they should be for this CPU clock speed and no matter what I do or voltage I add, it will restart eventually. Is it more stable to overclock with the base clock??? (where It'd be more familiar to me like my Q9450, and I don't have to tweak multipliers left and right.)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I though AMD's were easier to overclock?? I have a 940 Black Edition and I can't even get 3.6ghz stable (under load), I try raising the CPU-NB and HTT to what they should be for this CPU clock speed and no matter what I do or voltage I add, it will restart eventually. Is it more stable to overclock with the base clock??? (where It'd be more familiar to me like my Q9450, and I don't have to tweak multipliers left and right.)

I think its best to leave the CPU NB and HTT alone and just raise the multiplier, if you have a black edition thats all you have to do. I think it works great up to 3.8ghz possibly, then you have to start tweaking a few settings, i tested mine out at 3.6, perfectly stable but i still dont have a good cpu cooler, so the temps kept creaping up on me, so im running stock for now, hope this helps :unsure:

Edited by SenitaL

I use to use AMD cpu's all the time, and from what I remember, if your overclocking it, you don't raise the HTT, and at a point, it's helpful to lower the HTT.

It's been a while, so don't take my word for this!

I use to use AMD cpu's all the time, and from what I remember, if your overclocking it, you don't raise the HTT, and at a point, it's helpful to lower the HTT.

It's been a while, so don't take my word for this!

I heard it is helpful to lower the HTT so I'll try that, but I heard to keep stability and not create a bottleneck than CPU-NB had to be upped alongside the cock speed.

HTT seems pretty dumb lol

Edited by IVIYTH0S

What are the system specs on this IVI? what have you tried and where are your temps setting?

After 3.4-3.5Ghz is where I had to start increasing voltage quite a bit. 3.6 for mine took 1.4875v on one and 1.5v for the other. Id find the highest multiplier stable setting then back down and find the highest bus speed setting. It will give you a better idea where you can go with that CPU.

I heard it is helpful to lower the HTT so I'll try that, but I heard to keep stability and not create a bottleneck than CPU-NB had to be upped alongside the cock speed.

HTT seems pretty dumb lol

Did you mean cLock speed? :lol: Looks like you're getting frustrated. Not really one to point out typos but that one was too funny to let pass.

Edited by rourkchris

What are the system specs on this IVI? what have you tried and where are your temps setting?

After 3.4-3.5Ghz is where I had to start increasing voltage quite a bit. 3.6 for mine took 1.4875v on one and 1.5v for the other. Id find the highest multiplier stable setting then back down and find the highest bus speed setting. It will give you a better idea where you can go with that CPU.

Well Stock my voltages were like 1.44v or something and even at 1.5v the darn thing still wont get stable (even after I just tried lowering the HTT to 1600mhz).

I may try with just bumping the base clock up since it doesn't seem like I'm getting anywhere with the multiplier, I am working now but with remote desktop I'll check on the computer and see if it is still running Prime 95 at 3.5ghz ok.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H or something like that (that was from memory). It's a 790GX with a SB750.

Memory is Patriot 2x2GB 800mhz 4-4-4-12.

Cpu cooler is Thermaltake DuOrb

case: Antec 300

video: intergrated 3300 ati

hdd: Seagate 7200.12 500GB 16MB

PSU: OCZ 500W StealthXStream

Well Stock my voltages were like 1.44v or something and even at 1.5v the darn thing still wont get stable (even after I just tried lowering the HTT to 1600mhz).

I may try with just bumping the base clock up since it doesn't seem like I'm getting anywhere with the multiplier, I am working now but with remote desktop I'll check on the computer and see if it is still running Prime 95 at 3.5ghz ok.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H or something like that (that was from memory). It's a 790GX with a SB750.

Memory is Patriot 2x2GB 800mhz 4-4-4-12.

Cpu cooler is Thermaltake DuOrb

case: Antec 300

video: intergrated 3300 ati

hdd: Seagate 7200.12 500GB 16MB

PSU: OCZ 500W StealthXStream

correct me if i read this wrong...

at STOCK 3.0ghz your cpu voltage is 1.44??? and still isnt stable at 1.5???

The DuOrb may be what's holding you back. I can't recall seeing any reviews on it, can it handle 1.5v on a quad core?

The temps are decent, I mean I know I wont be making 4.0ghz but they are only high 40's under load and certainly they will never get this high for my dad since he doesn't even game or anything.

I was just curious to see how high this chip could go, though if I'm unsuccessful with the base clock I may just put it to stock clocks and then find the lowest voltages I can.

correct me if i read this wrong...

at STOCK 3.0ghz your cpu voltage is 1.44??? and still isnt stable at 1.5???

and yes at stock. I even set it to 1.35v int he bios and it always said 1.42v-1.44v in CPU-Z when Prime 95ing

The temps are decent, I mean I know I wont be making 4.0ghz but they are only high 40's under load and certainly they will never get this high for my dad since he doesn't even game or anything.

I was just curious to see how high this chip could go, though if I'm unsuccessful with the base clock I may just put it to stock clocks and then find the lowest voltages I can.

and yes at stock. I even set it to 1.35v int he bios and it always said 1.42v-1.44v in CPU-Z when Prime 95ing

strange, mines at 3.4ghz 1.38 stock volts