duall vs triple vs quadcore amd

come xmas time or tax return time (both a while away just thinking ahead) im gunna upgrade my mobo and processor currently i have a xfx 8200 mobo and a phenom 9750 proc which are both alright just not the performance i want, and no overclockability. so i was looking at a few different processors all of which are amd phenom II black editions am3 socket one being the x2 550 dual core clocked at 3.10 ghz, the next one being the x3 720 triple core clocked at 2.8 ghz and last but definatly not least the x4 quad core 955 clocked at 3.20 ghz i was just wondering which is the best buy, the obvious thing to say is that the 955 quadcore is by far the best but its also a bit more exspensive, i know more and more things are being deved to run in a multi thread mode but just looking for a little feed back of which would be the best for gaming at a cost to ratio performance.. and also any good recommendations on motherboard brand with a easy overclocking bios, the xfx8200 bios seems kinda like a joke compared to asus or gigabyte thanks!

Hardware comes out at such a fast rate that deciding what you want now but can't buy until Christmas is a waste of time. Just keep an eye out for reviews of new hardware and when you have the money in-hand you can decide.

for sure there is no point in deciding anything right now, unless you are buying now. The prices are very good on the x2/ x3, so good that you probably could drop in one of those bad boyz right now. Trust me it will destroy the current performance you now have!!!

I am a triple core guy as my sig says, but i bought months ago when the 720 first hit. By christmas the 955 should be extra cheap as the i5 is really gonna put some pressure on AMD. But you probably would want to get a black edition so that your mobo issue wont be as much of an issue to you anymore as far as OCing. You see AMD will only want to release the higher clocked CPUs as Black editions, so when the stock runs out there probably wont be 955 black editions as they will be replaced. But you should have little problem finding them somewhere not a mainstream dealer or maybe even used for dirt cheap, if you arent afraid to go that route.

The next big question is what all are you running as far as memory speed and timings, Video, and harddrive? As sometimes just dropping in a cpu on an old setup doesnt really give you the bang if the rest of the system is dinosaur slow. A real real slow HD can make even the fastest quads seem like pentium 3s, Just as a real fast HD can do an aging system wonders, if all you do is basic web surfing and such.

Edited by ocre

for sure there is no point in deciding anything right now, unless you are buying now. The prices are very good on the x2/ x3, so good that you probably could drop in one of those bad boyz right now. Trust me it will destroy the current performance you now have!!!

I am a triple core guy as my sig says, but i bought months ago when the 720 first hit. By christmas the 955 should be extra cheap as the i5 is really gonna put some pressure on AMD. But you probably would want to get a black edition so that your mobo issue wont be as much of an issue to you anymore as far as OCing. You see AMD will only want to release the higher clocked CPUs as Black editions, so when the stock runs out there probably wont be 955 black editions as they will be replaced. But you should have little problem finding them somewhere not a mainstream dealer or maybe even used for dirt cheap, if you arent afraid to go that route.

The next big question is what all are you running as far as memory speed and timings, Video, and harddrive? As sometimes just dropping in a cpu on an old setup doesnt really give you the bang if the rest of the system is dinosaur slow. A real real slow HD can make even the fastest quads seem like pentium 3s, Just as a real fast HD can do an aging system wonders, if all you do is basic web surfing and such.

the memory i have is ddr2 pc 6400 centon its 5-5-5-18 i believe a 650 watt psu 2 wd hardrives at 7200 rpms a xfx radeon 4870 vcard i fairly certian that a mobo/cpu replacement and probly upgrading to ddr3 ram in a ddr3 mobo would be a big leap for me because i feel with my video card my chokehold is in my ram and 9750 quadcore

exactly what i was thinking........(not that i have one) but i can do a fair bit with a dual-core........ i have the 550 you are looking at and for my first attempt at a poor mans real computer it . kicks my old 4500+ and 8600GT

in the end, i would just compare what you can get now to what you do/don't already have....... if its cheap and better performing than what you run currently, why not just pick any of those off of the list you gave.....then start setting aside the money to buy something when your new build gets too outdated.......

just an idea, i would think any of those AMD's you named are good chips, just pick a price and see what you can get out of it

the memory i have is ddr2 pc 6400 centon its 5-5-5-18 i believe a 650 watt psu 2 wd hardrives at 7200 rpms a xfx radeon 4870 vcard i fairly certian that a mobo/cpu replacement and probly upgrading to ddr3 ram in a ddr3 mobo would be a big leap for me because i feel with my video card my chokehold is in my ram and 9750 quadcore

DDR3 never helped anyone :lol:

and like the others said I wouldn't look at anything until you're actually really to checkout