E8500 Overclocking help

Tim1981

Hi, I have recently bought myself an after market cooler(miniTyphoon90) for my E8500 and have been experimenting with overclocking it after reading up on quite a few forums and tutorials.I am currently overclocked to 3.6ghz and my idle temps are 34C and under load they are at around 54C.

I have managed this by only changing the FSB to 380 and I have left the multiplier at 9.5.I did try and get up to 3.8 ghz which is what I have been aiming for all along.I have tried just changing the FSB to 400 and booting up but my system freezed while loading xp.I then tried upping my CPU Voltage from the default 1.2250v to the next increment up which was 1.2375 while still at 3.6ghz but my system failed to boot.

Here is my setup:

Windows Xp 32 sp3

E8500

Asus P5k

zoltac 8800gt Factory OC

4 gig DDR2 800mhz Ram(One 2gig stick Geil, One 1 gig Stick Geil and one 1 gig stick corsair)

600w Games extreme PSU

I have found this thread in these forums:

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...mp;hl=e8500+p5k

The guy explains similar to what I have had but I would like to know the way he raise the V core from 1.231 to 1.306 as when I tried to raise the V core just 1 increment it would not boot and I got a message telling me the overclock had failed and had an option to return my settings to default.

I am unsure of what to do next in terms of reaching my goal of 3.8 ghz.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could shed some light on where to go from here.If you need any more info then please just ask.

Regards

Tim

Edited by Tim1981

The guy explains similar to what I have had but I would like to know the way he raise the V core from 1.231 to 1.306 as when I tried to raise the V core just 1 increment it would not boot and I got a message telling me the overclock had failed and had an option to return my settings to default.

By upping your CPU voltage by just one step, is just about the same as doing nothing! You will need to raise the voltage by at least 2 steps, at a time, and then try to boot up, and then you must check your stability, using a program as OCCT stress test, Orthos, Prime 95.....

If it still fails, try 2 more steps.

Your E8500 has a safe voltage range of up to 1.3625v

First I'd set the vcore to 1.25v, and see it it boots up, and if not, try 1.26v

You also need to keep an eye on your memory speed! If you exceed 800MHz by to much, it will also cause your PC to freeze, or blue screen!

I'd also like to note that using different memory modules isn't the best idea!

Good luck

Inteller

Edited by Inteller

Thanks for the Response Inteller.

I was thinking that it might be better for me to get rid of the Corsair Ram and just use the 3 gig of Geil.Xp32 only recognizes 3.25 gig of ram anyway.Hopefully this will help stop the freezing.

Should I have my cpu up to 3.8 while im increasing the Voltage or should I be leaving it at 3.6 until I get up to the right voltage?

I really don't think you'll have any problems at all hitting 3.8GHz, those E8500 cpu's are really good processors!

I'd set it for 3.8GHz, and make sure your keeping your memory at, or close to 800MHz, and then set your vcore to 1.25v, and then if it wont boot, try 1.26v....1.27v......then when it does boot up, run a stability test, and keep an eye on your temperatures!

Best of luck to you!

But as I said, I'm sure you'll get it where you want it!

Still having good temps!

I have done exactly what you said.I removed the corsair ram, then set in bios the cpu to 3.8ghz and 1.25 on the cpu voltage.No joy so I tried 1.26v, 1.27v, 1.28v and 1.29 and it still froze?Should I still be going higher or could this be a problem with my ram settings as this is one aspect I know nothing about.Here are my timings in CPU-Z:

DRam Frequency 400.0mhz

FSB:Ram 5:6

CAS#Latency 5.0 clocks

RAS to CAS#Delay 5 clocks

RAS Precharge 5 clocks

Cycle Time 15 clocks

Row refresh time 52 clocks

command rate 2T

Ok, I'm really surprised it wouldn't boot at all! You really shouldn't need more than what you've already tried!

Exactly what ram are you using?

Do you know the proper voltage setting for the ram?

This is what I would suspect that's holding you back!

Your timings look good

I would pull your 1Gb stick of ram, and try using just your 1 stick of 2Gb.

I would have thought for sure that 1.28v would have been plenty to get it stable.

But just try using your 2Gb stick alone, in slot 1 (closest to your cpu), and see if it will boot.

I'm gonna go and look at some of the 2gig stick Geil, and see what your using!

Just one more thing!

I know you want to get it to 3.8GHz, but really if your gaming, or doing most anything else, 200MHz you won't even notice!!!

The only time you will see a bit of a difference, is in benchmarking!

So, I'd say your best bet, if you can't hit 3.8, then put it back to the way you had it when you were running it at 3.6GHz!

Yes that is the ram I have.I have just checked in CPU-z and it is running at 1.8v.Ok, so I am just about to remove the 1 gig stick and just leave the 2 gig in.Just read your last post and will leave the ram in then.Maybe my processor cant handle it?

Edited by Tim1981