Sign in to follow this  
kingdingeling

LMAO Apple

they aren't unsafe to keep around magnets?

Nope, one time I spilled a box of magnets into my computer while I was working on it. I feared that I screwed everything up, but nothing happened, and OCC assured me that only monitors get damaged from weak magnets. I almost shat myself when it fell in though, lol.

Not the weak little ones you find in laptops and on fridges. Throw it next to a ridiculously powerful neodymium magnet and then you'll see some problems.

Even then you won't. It takes a pretty powerful electromagnet to actually damage or erase a hard drive.

I wouldn't recommend sitting bigass neodymium magnets next to your hard drive but technically it won't do anything to them. :P

Not entirely true. I imagine the magnets would be attracted to the metal in the hard drive. Get a big enough magnet and it'll crush that sucker :P

Not entirely true. I imagine the magnets would be attracted to the metal in the hard drive. Get a big enough magnet and it'll crush that sucker :P

:lol: That's cheating. :P

What you really need to do is place a hard drive up on its side on a flat surface. Then you take two large magnets and place them a couple inches away from each side of the hard drive. Then you slowly move them closer until the attraction kicks in. Carnage ensues.

I'm going to try that some day. :P

What you really need to do is place a hard drive up on its side on a flat surface. Then you take two large magnets and place them a couple inches away from each side of the hard drive. Then you slowly move them closer until the attraction kicks in. Carnage ensues.

I'm going to try that some day. :P

I would try it while the drive is connected and everything but...

Old IDE drive: YES!

Long IDE cable: YES!

Two large magnets: NO...

:(

I would try it while the drive is connected and everything but...

Old IDE drive: YES!

Long IDE cable: YES!

Two large magnets: NO...

:(

I have a large collection of the magnets of old dead harddrives I've had but I doubt they'd be able to reach each other through the drive

It's because you're not using strong enough magnets

I'm thinking two giant spheres like this are more appropriate for what we're trying to accomplish:

magnetfull6.jpg

Moral of the story : Don't stack spheric MacBooks on hard drives.

Moral of the story : Don't stack spheric MacBooks on hard drives.

LOL.