Windows 7 issue

JBags

Hey all,

I recently got Win7 Pro through MSDNAA, partitioned 60gb on my main drive and i have a dual boot with vista x64 and 7 x64. Setup and everything went fine

But, some programs refuse to work/install.

i was most curious about gaming performance between Vista sp2 and 7, even if it is slight, just wanna know

the FRAPS installer won't run, even in compatibility mode for vista or xp. the process shows up in ask manager, but no setup installer.

Steam installed fine and it DLed and installed L4D without a hiccup, but L4D won't run. (again process shows in task manager, and also tried compatibility mode, too)

and when i try to launch l4d, steam gives me a outdated driver message, even though i have the latest catalyst 9.8 for 7 x64...

also tried installing google chrome, as that is my main browser, but it wouldn't run either..

i've googled l4d and windows 7, and haven't found anything liek this, only a volume issue that is easily fixed by a windos setting..

what's going on?

any help is appreciated

hmm thats strange. Im using Win7 RC 32-bit . L4D runs great, FRAPS installed and runs perfectly.

EDIT: I just noticed your using the x64 versions. That most likely explains it

Edited by ShallowBay

Well, i fixed it. L4D Runs great now, Fraps and Chrome installed and run fine.

Apparently both the 32bit and 64bit versions of Asus Xonar Audio Center were set to run on startup, so I closed the 32bit one and removed it from the startup.

And for some magical reason, it fixed the problem.

Dont know why the 32bit one (or both running at the same time) stopped l4d from running or chrome and fraps to install, but it apparently was.. lol

I didnt have this issue in Vista, though the 32bit one has been disabled since i noticed it was running.

I suppose every new OS is bound to have it's quirks with drivers and programs initially lol

Anyways, thanks for the replies, guys

I suppose every new OS is bound to have it's quirks with drivers and programs initially lol

I suppose if third parties coded properly, a lot of those issues wouldn't exist ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Hey all,

I recently got Win7 Pro through MSDNAA, partitioned 60gb on my main drive and i have a dual boot with vista x64 and 7 x64. Setup and everything went fine

But, some programs refuse to work/install.

i was most curious about gaming performance between Vista sp2 and 7, even if it is slight, just wanna know

the FRAPS installer won't run, even in compatibility mode for vista or xp. the process shows up in ask manager, but no setup installer.

Steam installed fine and it DLed and installed L4D without a hiccup, but L4D won't run. (again process shows in task manager, and also tried compatibility mode, too)

and when i try to launch l4d, steam gives me a outdated driver message, even though i have the latest catalyst 9.8 for 7 x64...

also tried installing google chrome, as that is my main browser, but it wouldn't run either..

i've googled l4d and windows 7, and haven't found anything liek this, only a volume issue that is easily fixed by a windos setting..

what's going on?

any help is appreciated

i have a sort of similar issue in a similar setup. i recently added a new partition to my (vista ultimate 64bit) raid0 set and installed w7rc 7100 64 bit for a dual boot configuration. i'm having several issues actually but the one that baffles me the most is trying to play crysis. the exact same game that runs perfectly on vista ult will only play for a few minutes on w7. before the men jump out of the plane it freezes and locks then either bsods or requires a task manager shutdown if the system hasn't frozen...? for the record i have applied all the patches for the game and kept up with windows updates, basically everything should be working....

w7 doesn't like me to run my ram at 1200 mhz but i'm usually at 1:1 anyway, and then there are the random freezes after w7 wakes up from hibernation mode..? whats that about...?...after it's been sleeping and i wake it up it just acts slow and stupid and then usually i restart it or it bsods...?? B:)

i have a sort of similar issue in a similar setup. i recently added a new partition to my (vista ultimate 64bit) raid0 set and installed w7rc 7100 64 bit for a dual boot configuration. i'm having several issues actually but the one that baffles me the most is trying to play crysis. the exact same game that runs perfectly on vista ult will only play for a few minutes on w7. before the men jump out of the plane it freezes and locks then either bsods or requires a task manager shutdown if the system hasn't frozen...? for the record i have applied all the patches for the game and kept up with windows updates, basically everything should be working....

w7 doesn't like me to run my ram at 1200 mhz but i'm usually at 1:1 anyway, and then there are the random freezes after w7 wakes up from hibernation mode..? whats that about...?...after it's been sleeping and i wake it up it just acts slow and stupid and then usually i restart it or it bsods...?? B:)

It sounds like your OC isn't stable.

Agreed....

Like Vista you need to install the OS at STOCK settings...

you my friend have a botched install....time to wipe and start all over....

Fraps works with no issue and so does L4D....

I have installed Win7 atleast 500 times (testing) and I havent had any of those issues....if the ram is out to lunch you will get those issues...

Agreed....

Like Vista you need to install the OS at STOCK settings...

you my friend have a botched install....time to wipe and start all over....

Fraps works with no issue and so does L4D....

I have installed Win7 atleast 500 times (testing) and I havent had any of those issues....if the ram is out to lunch you will get those issues...

well dangit i didn't want to hear that but i have to admit it makes sense....i'd better have another try at it....

thanx guys

cya

cj

B:)

well dangit i didn't want to hear that but i have to admit it makes sense....i'd better have another try at it....

thanx guys

cya

cj

B:)

ok despite what my sig says i put everything back to auto default, disabled all the speedstep n stuff in bios and did a complete full format of the partition im using for the install. i reloaded w7rc7100 from scratch and i'm blogging on it now....it sems to be working fine so far so i'm gonna try to get crysis up and running as is....i'll get back to ya's :D