Problem with liquid cooling loop?

I'm running a loop with an MC-TDX, Laing D5. 1/2ID tubing, and a black ice pro II radiator. I'm cooling ONLY my processor (E8600) and I'm getting 45c with load in OCCT, 35c idle. Are these normal? They didn't seem to improve over my CNPS9700. Actually, they seem a little worse :blink:

SG - What sequence is your loop arranged in? What were the ambient air temps and approximate temps inside your case when you measured the CPU temperatures? Even a great water cooling setup cannot cool your processor below ambient air temperatures. In my experience the measure of a good water cooling loop is it's ability to effect larger amounts of thermal transfer, not necessarily show significant reductions in idle or load temps over a good air cooler.

Reservior > Pump > Waterblock > Radiator > Reservior

The ambient temp is about 20c. I was just surprised the temps were higher than my air cooler.

BTW, these are temps while *not* overclocked.

Edited by supergeek101

I'm running a loop with an MC-TDX, Laing D5. 1/2ID tubing, and a black ice pro II radiator. I'm cooling ONLY my processor (E8600) and I'm getting 45c with load in OCCT, 35c idle. Are these normal? They didn't seem to improve over my CNPS9700. Actually, they seem a little worse :blink:

How much voltage, and is your block bowed? If not, is your IHS lapped? Most importantly though, where are you getting your temps from? Your sensor could be way off...especially if you were reading under 45c load with a 4ghz wolfdale using a CNPS9700(which I don't think is possible, even on stock volts.)

You should be outperforming the 9700 by quite a bit at 4ghz using water. At 4.3ghz and 1.35v my wolfdale hit 62c load with a TRUE 120 and two 120x38mm thick tri-blade Deltas in push-pull(142cfm a pop). TRUE and IHS are both lapped. That is about as good as air cooling gets at this point in time. I just checked my old screenshots and on stock volts and 4.1ghz with one Delta on the TRUE it was still hitting in the 50s...so unless you are running 4ghz undervolted with a very cold ambient I doubt you can see 45c from the 9700.

BTW, these are temps while *not* overclocked.

Wow, thats an important bit of information don't you think!?! :lol: Yes, your temps are not right. I would start by reseating the block, and maybe rotate the mount to be sure the inlet is over the core of the processor on your motherboard. The core is not a perfect square, and different mounts can amount to up to 5c difference just by rotating the waterblock 90*!

Edited by Puck

I don't know really, but I think there may be a problem with the sensors. The sensor on core 2 always stays stuck at 35. Also, these temps are while it is not overclocked. I'll get the overclocked temps later.

What fans are you using on the radiator? Black Ice rads (cept the new SR1 series) have really dense fins, so if you don't have high speed fans with a lot of pressure then you'll have issues with temps, because the airflow through them will be too low*.

* Based on reading. I don't know personally.

The benifit with water cooling comes when you really push the processor. Also block orientation is a big thing as well. Are you using the the block with the UNI top or the plexi top?

I'm using the MC one with the clear top. It's oriented with the output port pointing down

What fans are you using on the radiator? Black Ice rads (cept the new SR1 series) have really dense fins, so if you don't have high speed fans with a lot of pressure then you'll have issues with temps, because the airflow through them will be too low*.

* Based on reading. I don't know personally.

I'm using 2 yate loon high speed fans. http://www.dangerden.com/store/yate-loon-1...n-d12sh-12.html

I also got a new question. I have the x48-ds5 and it has the silent heatpipe thing, but since I watercool, I have no fans blowing on the heatsinks. Should I add one? They are very hot to the touch.

Edited by supergeek101

I'm running the X38 version of the Gigabyte board with water cooling and I AM also running a 120mm side panel fan to get some airflow over both the Northbridge and Mosfets (my board also has the silent heat pipe cooling). I noticed a significant increase in the n/b temp when I swapped out the Zalman 9700LED for water cooling. No more free airflow from the cpu cooler :(

My E8400 had a slight concavity to the IHS that prevented a perfect flat mating surface. As already pointed out you should check the flatness of both the cpu IHS and the waterblock. You may have to spend some time lapping one or the other to get the mating surface that you need.

Before locking everything down for the last time double check the contact surfaces by applying some cheap TIM and mounting the block, snug down the block then remove. Check to make sure that you've got a good footprint from where the w/b and cpu IHS were touching one another. If that all looks good, clean up the cheap stuff and apply some good TIM, reassemble and check things out and see if there is any improvement.

Danger Den has a great little step by step trouble shooting guide for issues related to high temps and water cooling. You can find it here.

https://www.dangerden.com/support/index.php...&parentid=0

Edited by wevsspot

I have the x48-ds5 and it has the silent heatpipe thing, but since I watercool, I have no fans blowing on the heatsinks. Should I add one? They are very hot to the touch.

Keeping the NB cool is vital to a stable overclock. I have a 92mm case fan blowing over mine and it is plenty enough(with the Asus ROG heatpipe cooler). Without it the heatsink gets very hot as well! Even just a small breeze over the NB heatsink will drop temps a ton.

Well, I lifted up my block, and the as5 seemed to spread very well. Also, I took a small 50mm fan and put it over the nb heatsink, about 5mm away. Apparently it helped because 5 minutes after, the mosfet heatsink didn't feel like it was burning.

Well keep us posted. I remember when I did my first watercooling loop I was like "what the hell". I was expecting these dramatic improvements over superb air cooling solutions I had used in the past. I was a little disappointed at first but then I started doing a lot of research and reading about water cooling in general. I keep a loop in my main rig because I like the silence and also it has usually afforded me a little more headroom when overclocking.

Good luck.