New system build for overclocking

horseboy666

so im upgrading to:

CPU: Intel i7 920 2.66 GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte EX58-UD4P

RAM: G-skill F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD Trident PC3-16000 6 GB 3x2GB DDR3-2000 CL9-9-9-24 Core i7 Memory kit

Video card: Cant decide what to get, not planning on crossfire or sli for now SUGGESTIONS???

Power Supply: Coolermaster Extreme Power 600W ATX 12V V2.01 Silent Power Supply 20/24PIN 120MM Fan

Hard Drive: WD Velociraptor 300 GB GLFS ( I have 2 of these already, deciding if I should raid 0 them, or just use 1 and sell the other one?

DVD drive: 22x LG dual layer burner

CASE: Using my old case for the new computer, its a LEXA BLACKLINE NZXT

Heatsink/FAN: Noctua NH-U12P with extra FAN, to create suck in blow out feature

Would this system kick butt and overclock good? Let me know a good video card to get, not too expensive, something less than 250 Canadian dollars.

Let me know whats a good video card to get, and if the power supply will handle it well (and incase I crossfire/sli later on, can it handle it)

THANKS A BUNCH GUYS :D LOVE YOU!!

Edited by horseboy666

assuming you have a storage drive, I'd sell both Velocis and get an SSD for the System drive ;)

I'd also change the memory to these : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231272

Judging by what resolution you play games at will determine what graphics card you should get

my monitor is a BENQ 24 inch 1920 x 1080 resolution, so thats the max i guess

screw the SSD, too expensive and limited write cycles, especially for an operating system...

my monitor is a BENQ 24 inch 1920 x 1080 resolution, so thats the max i guess

screw the SSD, too expensive and limited write cycles, especially for an operating system...

just thought I'd offer :D

I guess a 4890 or 280 is in order!

The Coolermaster Extreme 600W wouldn't be my first choice power supply. It's rated at 25 deg C which I never like to see and only 70% efficient. If you are going to invest all that money on quality components then they deserve (and need) a better quality power supply especially if you are overclocking.

It only has two 6 pin PCI-E connectors which rules out some graphics cards, GTX280 for instance, which will need an adapter cable as would any future dual card set-up.

If you want to be able to SLI or Crossfire in the future you would be better off going for a higher wattage power supply with the necessary connectors. The Corsair HX750W is a nice power supply but there are others. You get what you pay for!

Cheers

Paul

The Coolermaster Extreme 600W wouldn't be my first choice power supply. It's rated at 25 deg C which I never like to see and only 70% efficient. If you are going to invest all that money on quality components then they deserve (and need) a better quality power supply especially if you are overclocking.

It only has two 6 pin PCI-E connectors which rules out some graphics cards, GTX280 for instance, which will need an adapter cable as would any future dual card set-up.

If you want to be able to SLI or Crossfire in the future you would be better off going for a higher wattage power supply with the necessary connectors. The Corsair HX750W is a nice power supply but there are others. You get what you pay for!

Cheers

Paul

Okay, how bout this one? OCZ StealthXStream 700W ATX12V 20/24PIN Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/powe...am_power_supply

Its on sale for 80 CAD on www.ncix.com I really dont want to spend too much on a power supply, considering I am most likely going to keep it as 1 video card. Its rated at an 80% efficiency. The Corsair PSU that you mentioned is rated 88%, but does it justify the more than double the cost?

just thought I'd offer :D

I guess a 4890 or 280 is in order!

I was looking at an eVGA GTX 275, any particular brand you suggest, or they all the same? (and i mean they as in brand names like eVGA, KFA2, Asus, MSI etc..)

Also, does it matter if i get Overclocked ones, or just stock ones? Like I can overclock it myself and save some money right? Or is there something specially done to the factory overclocked ones that we cannot achieve ourselves?

Also, does the overclocked versions conflict with system overclocking? As in will it be affected by the fsb, causing it to clock too high with the system making it unstable? Or does this have nothing to do with each other?

Edited by horseboy666

I was looking at an eVGA GTX 275, any particular brand you suggest, or they all the same?

According to some tests, EVGA cards have performed better than those of other brands, but I'm not 100% sure if they are faster or not.

Also, does it matter if i get Overclocked ones, or just stock ones? Like I can overclock it myself and save some money right? Or is there something specially done to the factory overclocked ones that we cannot achieve ourselves?

According to my knowledge, factory overclocked graphics cards are just regular graphics cards that are overclocked at the factory. They don't do anything you can't do at home, and often times you can clock it past the OC editions, so save your self some money and go with the plain cards. ;)

Edited by sirloganthestud

I was looking at an eVGA GTX 275, any particular brand you suggest, or they all the same? (and i mean they as in brand names like eVGA, KFA2, Asus, MSI etc..)

Also, does the overclocked versions conflict with system overclocking? As in will it be affected by the fsb, causing it to clock too high with the system making it unstable? Or does this have nothing to do with each other?

The standard edition is all you need, on ebay you can find 280s that are like 200 dollars without auctioning (if you auction you could get them cheaper)

An overclocked wont mess with the rest of the system. It will only effect gaming performance (and PSU strain, if you're considering everything)

According to some tests, EVGA cards have performed better than those of other brands, but I'm not 100% sure if they are faster or not.

According to my knowledge, factory overclocked graphics cards are just regular graphics cards that are overclocked at the factory. They don't do anything you can't do at home, and often times you can clock it past the OC editions, so save your self some money and go with the plain cards. ;)

Exactly it's all about luck, OC editions rarely do much if any better than the standard clocked one.

I've never heard of EVGA cards performing better than others, I mean I heard their customer service is pleasant but not that their cards are superior (as they are all just the same thing underneath, factory overclocking aside) Nvidia companies rarely mod their cards.

Okay, how bout this one? OCZ StealthXStream 700W ATX12V 20/24PIN Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/powe...am_power_supply

Its on sale for 80 CAD on www.ncix.com I really dont want to spend too much on a power supply, considering I am most likely going to keep it as 1 video card. Its rated at an 80% efficiency. The Corsair PSU that you mentioned is rated 88%, but does it justify the more than double the cost?

The OCZ is a much better option and will do nicely.

Cheers

Paul